How safe is nitrous

Old 05-20-2008, 01:49 PM
hettman
APPRENTICE

Default How safe is nitrous

I'm trying to figure out how safe nitrous is. I'm thinking about running it on my 496 maybe around a 100 shot. I get nervous I might damage My engine. What are your opinions?
Old 05-20-2008, 03:00 PM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

Here is the general scenario. 100 hp is most likely pretty safe. It feels good the first few times, then it seems to need the 150 jetting. Then you make a few changes to safely run that set up and the temptation is to do 200. I suggest to everyone that they need to build for the spray...
Old 05-20-2008, 04:20 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

most NOS boo-boos fall between inadequate fuel supply or failure to pull out proper timing...don't get me wrong many other things can go wrong but these are the TOP 2

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 05-20-2008, 04:22 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by tporter
Here is the general scenario. 100 hp is most likely pretty safe. It feels good the first few times, then it seems to need the 150 jetting. Then you make a few changes to safely run that set up and the temptation is to do 200. I suggest to everyone that they need to build for the spray...
Just make sure you have enough fuel pump to supply the additional fuel, have full throttle and fuel pressure safety switches, and keep an eye on bottle pressure. 100 hp should be fine. RPM will kill it before the nitrous will, so make sure your safe there....
Old 06-09-2008, 10:10 AM
hettman
APPRENTICE

Do you have to increase your fuel pressure,
right now im running at 7.5 psi.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:25 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Buy a kit, right out of the box, and follow the instructions.

This isn't new, nor is it hard.

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Instru.../carbplate.pdf

http://www.holley.com/TechService/FAQ.asp?category=NOS
Old 06-09-2008, 12:38 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
Buy a kit, right out of the box, and follow the instructions.

This isn't new, nor is it hard.

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Instru.../carbplate.pdf

http://www.holley.com/TechService/FAQ.asp?category=NOS

He is dead on its not hard, I knew nothing about Nitrous a few years ago purchased a kit from NX very easy install instructions and works good.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:44 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
failure to pull out proper timing...
I think this has gotten a LOT of guys in trouble before. Oh I guess that is something different.

Curtis
Old 06-11-2008, 03:04 PM
zpi28
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by doorracer
Originally Posted by bjuice
failure to pull out proper timing...
I think this has gotten a LOT of guys in trouble before. Oh I guess that is something different.

Curtis
Excellent tip here..
Old 06-19-2008, 01:32 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Tuned right,proper timing,octane and fuel pressure,it is completely safe.Don't spray more than your piston ring end gaps are setup for(learned that the hard way )And ALWAYS run a safety/scondary solenoid if you are planning to use a progressive controller.When I drove my Olds in high school I had a 175 shot on a 396 with Keith Black hyper pistons and sealed power plasma rings.I would literally go thru 2 or 3 10 lb bottles per weekend on the street using 93 octane pump gas.Did that for about a year straight,then cut back to 1-2 bottles a week for the next year and a half.Never one single problem.Used just a snap switch to activate,simple.I used good fuel filters and nitrous filters in front of my solenoids and cleaned them regularly.You'd be surprised trash what will come out of a nitrous bottle!!And USE A FUEL PRESSURE SAFETY SWITCH!!!It is safe and reliable if you keep it in good working order.Any setup is only as reliable as the man who tunes it.Don't cut corners and you'll be fine.Have fun!!!

P.S. Don't use it on the street,that was stupid...fun ...but stupid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -