o-ringed block

Old 05-15-2008, 07:27 PM
pgk
APPRENTICE

Default o-ringed block

hi i have a o-ringed bbc and i want to get rid of the copper head gaskets and put mls gaskets back on it i heard that you can take out the steel o-ring wire and replace it copper but i dont know where to get the copper wire from and can this be done without taking it to a machine shop the motor will be street driven some what i dont want any hassles with it or is any other suggestions thanks in advanced paul
Old 05-16-2008, 07:26 AM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Default o ring

I have a sbc block i oringed with s/s wire years ago, Its a blower motor, i took it out of the dragster and put in my daily driver. I have the s/s wire and some normal fel pro head gaskets on there, i just made sure the wire ring hit the same spot on the gasket. I put a 1000 miles on it and no water leak! I know this does not answer your question but something to think about.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:36 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Go up to the local hardware store and buy some copper romex wire. The stuff they use to wire homes with. Get a diameter as close as you can to the block o-ring (should be like .030?) Bash it into the groove with a hammer, then use a fine metal file to smooth it over.

Lot's of work. Copper head gaskets work on the street. Might want to reconsider.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:10 PM
FAT622
JOURNEYMAN

I use copper gaskets on the street, not a problem. make sure they are sealed around the water jacket with permatex.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:33 PM
pgk
APPRENTICE

is there a certain way to seal up the gasket any special sealers and is there somthing out there i can get to seal it up thanks again for the replies
Old 05-16-2008, 07:35 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Default sealer

i just sit down and smear orange or grey permatex silicon/gasket maker all over both sides of the copper gaskets, then torque em down.