Gun law question

Old 05-13-2008, 09:57 PM
wrewre319
SHOW GUEST

Default Gun law question

If someone has been convicted of a domestic assault Gross Misdemeaner can they legally own a firearm?

Also if someone has been convicted for interfearing with a 911 call can they leagally own a firearm?

This is in minnesota

The landlord has gotten himself in some hot water...
Old 05-14-2008, 02:32 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

AS FAR AS I KNOW(that is my disclosure)only people convicted of felonies are under those restrictions.I know this on account of friends and family ops: but for a misdemeanor I don't think so.Gross misd...????I don't think they can take your guns away for a wreckless driving ticket.Get my drift?I wouldn't bet on that,though.May depend on the crime.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:47 PM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Guys, in kansas city missouri, they can seize your house for code violations. So guns should be no problem!
suicidebomb
Old 05-15-2008, 08:31 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by suicidebomb
Guys, in kansas city missouri, they can seize your house for code violations. So guns should be no problem!
suicidebomb
:shock: Dang
Old 05-20-2008, 02:14 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

there is a federal firearm law ( felon/firearms)...but each state can also impose their own laws when it comes to firearms among other things..

convicted felon on a federal level for sure....but Please check with your home state governors office for other violations..

a good example of this on the other end of the spectrum is this.

ATF (Alcohol Tobacco Firearms) FBI etc..Does not recognize Tasers as firearms so on a Federal level anyone can own and have in their possesion a public TASER.....However each state has imposed their own laws on carrying and owning TASERS...

The only difference in LAW ENFORCEMENT TASERS and General public tasers is the distance they will travel...

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 05-27-2008, 08:09 AM
Bamfster
APPRENTICE

In the late 90's, legislation was passed regarding domestic violence and the possession of firearms. Specifically, the Lottenburg Amendment and the Brady bill. These make it unlawful to own ANY firearm after being convicted of ANYTHING, domestic violence related. It also applies to ANY TYPE of restraining order, civil or criminal, as a result of domestic violence. In the case of the R/O, if there is no conviction of a domestic violence/crime, after a certain amount of time, the court can be petitioned to have your second amendment rights reinstated.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

itr's pretty simple for our laws.. felony (convicted) no guns. Misdemenor conviction, you still can. I work for a large archery (also sell crossbows) company, convicted felonists buy bows to hunt with instead... I hear various things that vary from state to state, but I am pretty sure a misdemenor will not take away your gun rights here (Oregon). Good luck!!
Old 06-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Bamfster
APPRENTICE

Originally Posted by Rigsby
itr's pretty simple for our laws.. felony (convicted) no guns. Misdemenor conviction, you still can. I work for a large archery (also sell crossbows) company, convicted felonists buy bows to hunt with instead... I hear various things that vary from state to state, but I am pretty sure a misdemenor will not take away your gun rights here (Oregon). Good luck!!
Your correct on the felon vs misdemeanor thing and all the states are pretty consistent, BUT, with the passage of Lottenburg and Brady, any conviction that is domestic violence related, whether misd or felony takes away your right to own a firearm on the federal level. Both are pretty poor pieces of legislation that made it thru. Federal law always trumps state law.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

This my friend, is why I would not make a good politican or legal related person. Much fear is looming with our current presidential candidates too. At least we have the NRA to try to help us... at any rate, I hunt with a bow now. they cannot take my bows.... yet.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:50 AM
Bamfster
APPRENTICE

Like the old saying goes.....when they outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns! I am in my 19th year in law enforcement, it just chaps me to no end when the media says that we are all for gun control. To a point I agree with the convicted felon rule, but I believe that needs to be addressed on a case by case cirrcumstance. The whole domestic violence thing is out of control as well....hold on to your a$$ after the presidential election, no matter who gets in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -