BBC 69 Camaro VS Centerlink!!

Old 05-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Default BBC 69 Camaro VS Centerlink!!

69 Camaro w/BBC & oversize oil pan... not enough clearence for the centerlink to allow full steering... does anyone know of a aftermarket center link with more clearence? Thanks!!
Old 05-13-2008, 08:45 PM
dcarr511
JUNIOR BUILDER

Your best bet is to look for a drop pitman arm and then lower the other side accordingly. The problem you might run in to is that if you are running a manual steering box your choices are very limited ... if you are running a power box then you will be able to find what you want.

If you do drop it down then you'll have to fix the bumpsteer. Not real difficult but will need to be addressed.

google " Tommy the Tiger " Pistone out of one of the Carolinas .. has all the pwr steering pitman arms and they are great people to work with !

The other option is to go to a R & P unit ... which is the route I went and wasnt a bad job to do until it came time to route the steering shaft through the headers. But I got it done and the car has since been sold and returned to being a street car.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I have a Canton power pan on my 70 Nova and mine hits too...I didn't even notice it for a long time...it steers enough since it is only a drag car...I'm only losing a small amount of travel.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:02 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

dcarr511:

I know it is a little late, but I finally took you up on your advice & called Tommy Tiger. What a great guy!! We talked about this & he & and discussed a process of lowering the Pittman, drag & idler. I will end up buying a few unrelated parts probably from him too. He said more than once: "Now you call me & let me know how this goes" I told him I would. He said: Call me, don't forget". He was generally interested in my project & really cared. not very many people I talk to are like him. We talked about everything..... from a new pan to a R & P & all associated things. In the end, I will be doing some welding & some fab work, but not too bad at all. Like Tod said, it is a minor issue, but I want more steering & new bump-steer setup. Thanks, Scoot