identifying steel for tubing

Old 05-12-2008, 04:55 AM
dgordner
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default identifying steel for tubing

Is there any way of telling the difference between seamless mild steel and (chrome molley)? Spelling? I think we have a karter in our organization who took the kart that was made of mild steel and had it duplicated with chrome molley. (spelling). I am the tech official and am getting hammered by the other competitors to check the kart but I do not know what to look for.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:31 AM
dcarr511
JUNIOR BUILDER

If its supposed to be ERW ( ?? ) MS then look for the weld seem, DOM wont have that though. You could have it sonic checked or weigh it and compare the weight to another known MS Chassis.

If it is the same thickness as MS and painted, I dont know how to tell w/o causing at least a small amount of damage ...

If its not painted you can look for the grade markings on it ...

If this guy is just whoopin up on everyone else ... it could very well just be he is a better driver. Have a friend who went through that, won the Season Points his first year and missed the last 3 races ... he just out drove everyone .. regardless of who's cart he was in.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:48 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

don't know what kind of KART racing your speaking of ( go -karts,sprint karts etc...)...anyhow most of these kart classes have weight restrictions Minimums( Kart and Driver)..if this is the case..i do not see where CM vs MS would make any difference....Cm moly is a lighter and tougher metal

can you tell us where the competitiors think he is getting the edge over them if it was a cm chassis ?...just curious

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 05-13-2008, 04:48 PM
dgordner
JUNIOR BUILDER

It is a Red Cross fund raiser race with the Mini-Indy karts. This particular team is all karters as i am myself. However, There are other teams who have their act together as well but can't touch them. We know for a fact that they took the kart and had it made in cm. It is a violation of the rules as the rules state the kart must be purchased through the Red Cross. Short of causing a serious problem, I am looking for a way to point out that I know what they did by inspecting the chassi. It is a fact that cm flexes better and can withstand more abuse that the other metal. I just wanted a way to prove it other than cause more trouble than need be. There are several people involved, including the kart shop that did the work. Everyone are friends of mine but I have to be the bad guy.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:04 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

Maybe a hardness tester, I believe CM is harder than plain steel. Also how about wall thickness?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:43 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: identifying steel for tubing

Originally Posted by dgordner
Is there any way of telling the difference between seamless mild steel and (chrome molley)? Spelling? I think we have a karter in our organization who took the kart that was made of mild steel and had it duplicated with chrome molley. (spelling). I am the tech official and am getting hammered by the other competitors to check the kart but I do not know what to look for.
You have a tough problem, without cutting a piece of the tubing and having it annalized by a lab.
Both mild steel and dom (1010) will have evidence of a weld seem, the difference there is that DOM is draw over a mandrel after butt weld IE leaving no seem on the inside.
I've been a mechinest for 50 yrs. and the way we can tell is spark test it. By this i mean take a piece of mild steel and put it up to a grinding wheel. The mild steel will spark more red, while the crome molly will spark more to the white side. but you still need some of the material that the chassis is made from.

Zip.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:47 PM
dgordner
JUNIOR BUILDER

Thank you Zip for the info.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:15 AM
Bubstr
JUNIOR BUILDER

Been a while since I was involved in karting, but I thought mild steel went out in the 70s because you could use up two to three chassis in a season. The thing that made Chrome molly better was it's memory, but even at that on factory teams we changed them out a couple times in a summer. Even their memory isn't perfect. I'm not for Chrome molly for a lot of things, but in a cart, it would be a waste of money not to have it. The guys are right a piece of 1 1/8 .083 in mild or molly weighs the same. There is a hardness tester kind of a spring loaded center punch that records the hardness. Not sure of the name or the price. The only other thought, would be to make templates off several of the legal karts. It would be very hard to reproduce the bends on a different mandrel. Hopefully the maker held to good tolerances. Of course on mild steel a crash could change some measurements but it wouldn't change them symmetrical. The best way out and cheaper for all in the long run would be to supply a C/M kart.

I doubt this is the reason they are fast. We had our Karts for sale at the race at all times after competition. It went less engines and seat and seat hardware. We was always competitive with them the next week. That should tell you where to look for advantages. That don't mean they are illegal.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:08 AM
dgordner
JUNIOR BUILDER

Ya, I fully understand as I was in Karting for 25 years with my two boys. Now we are in Stock car circle track. Where my problem lies is that the karts are purchased from Midwestern Industeries in Ind. and sold to the racers through the red cross as a fund raiser. Then we take a weekend and race through the park of Williamsport Pa. The real problem is that this team has won for the last three years and the other teams can't touch them. I have been there on the winning side and suffered the same consiquences of being a winner. Everyone has a reason for you winning all the time. Bad thing is that this team shouldn't have had the chassi duplicated with c/m because the word is out. Me being the tech man is being pressured to do something about it. Friendships will be lost but through no fault of mine.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:59 AM
Bubstr
JUNIOR BUILDER

As tech inspector it is your job to get compliance, not impose penalties. I would go to them and tell them what you know and that you are being pressured into action, so don't come with the C/M chassis if they don't want to be found illegal. That can't be anymore fair of you. There should be no hard feelings that way. The bad part is if you have to invest in something to catch them,it is deducted from the charity proceeds. If you don't, the race could belly up and their would be no proceeds for charity. Being the tech guy is a thankless job. Where a dummy gets disqualified for rounding off a port with a ball hone and a guy that knows shot peening and acid etching can make any port he wants. I actually got tore down 26 times with a restricted Yamaha KT100. It was so far away from the good end of port tolerance that the tech guys shook their head. The jug was a throw away in the machine shop. Factory port way to off for an unrestricted engine. It made power about 2,000 RPM lower than everyone else but it was good power curve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -