Transbrake rollout problem

Old 05-10-2008, 09:59 PM
speedjunkie13
SHOW GUEST

Default Transbrake rollout problem

Hey guys,
This whole transbrake thing is new to me and I'm having a little issue with the car wanting to roll a bit after the transbrake is applied.
The car is a 66 chevelle with a 355 smallblock running at about 425 hp the trans is a hughes TH350 reverse valve body with a TCI transbrake.
The problem, when I stage the car and apply the transbrake and release the footbrake the car moves forward probably an inch or two before the transbrake locks in. It's almost like there is slack in the drivetrain. It's not enough to make me roll out of stage but it is enough to make me red light easier because im so far into the lights. The transmission runs and shifts smooth and it launches great.
I'm hoping this is a common problem and an easy fix and hopefully the transmission isn't heading south on me.
Next race is next weekend so a quick reply is appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 05-11-2008, 04:32 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

The presssure may not be high enough at idle to set the brake quickly. Try turning your idle up a few hundred rpm....
Old 05-11-2008, 04:54 AM
sc3314
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default trans brake

Roll the car out of the shop, bring the rpm up off of idle with your foot on the brake. Then set the trans brake, and see if it rolls on you.

You need to get the line pressure up before you set the trans brake if it's not holding.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:14 PM
john858
EXPERT BUILDER

1500 rpm should be good, if it still moves you might want to try a different pump
Old 05-11-2008, 02:00 PM
speedjunkie13
SHOW GUEST

Thanks guys,
I rolled the car out of the shop and brought the rpms up to 1500 on the foot brake and hit the transbrake, it still rolled on me.
I did try something different i pretended i was staging and came up to the imaginary lights with very light pressure on the footbrake, almost none at all then set the transbrake. when i let off the footbrake there was no rollout. I'm wondering am i on the footbrake too hard when im staging? I'm thinking when the transbrake is applied the car shouldnt budge no matter what. But like I said I'm new to this whole transbrake thing.
Dave
Old 05-27-2008, 08:57 AM
john858
EXPERT BUILDER

some brakes will settle but the only think that moves is the car, your tires shouldn't move if the car is settling.good luck
Old 06-15-2008, 04:25 PM
zpi28
SHOW GUEST

Great information, I too am new to a Trans Brake. Im running a Glide behind a 475hp 388 Stroker in my 79 Bird.

Thanks

Steven
Old 06-18-2008, 11:03 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

A cheap fix is to hook up your line lock to your delay box that is if your running one.
That should stop the roll out and it will be released the same time as your transbrake>

Your et's must be all over the place too, rolling around like that in the staging beams.
Goodluck Charles