should i go to a powerglide trans

Old 05-04-2008, 09:46 PM
gpracer
JOURNEYMAN

Default should i go to a powerglide trans

my buddy has a 78 camaro we have been racing for about 5yrs now putting in better motors as we go we just built a 388 stroker with 13 to 1 comp victor jr heads and intake and a 648 lift cam we put all urethane in motor mounts trans mount motor is all roller we took it out to the track last friday to do some testing ok here are my ?s should we go to solid motor mounts cause we broke the tranny in half at launch and lost all gears and would a powerglide solve this problem with the bellhousing thanks for any info u can give
Old 05-04-2008, 09:56 PM
rob41willys
SENIOR BUILDER

What does the car have for a cage? Frame connectors? sounds like it has to much flex. Just putting in a powerglide won't help breaking the housing IMO
Old 05-04-2008, 10:09 PM
gpracer
JOURNEYMAN

the car has no cage it does have frame connectors
Old 05-05-2008, 02:51 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

How is the rear end in the car? leaf springs? ladder bars? 4 link?

Changing to a powerglide will not fix the cracking problem.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:43 PM
gpracer
JOURNEYMAN

leaf springs we are going to put solid mounts on the motor and a new trans u guys think that will fix it or keep it from happening again thanks
Old 05-05-2008, 06:05 PM
tkilby
APPRENTICE

The powerglide will of course have a higher 1st gear, taking a little off the intial hit. But sounds like you should first look into maybe a motor plate, mid plate, engine travel limiters and roll cage. But do stay with the urethane transmission mount. IMO
Old 05-05-2008, 07:33 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

yes, i agree, if you want to go solid on the tranny, you are going to need to put a motor plate and tranny plate on the car. If you just put the stock replacement solid mounts, the result is a broken bell housing in most cases. Cars are weak and do alot of twisting and the weak link is something solid. Check and make sure that when the engine mounts are installed, that the tranny mount lines up with no bolt or nut in the crossmember. If its crooked, theres the problem!
Old 05-06-2008, 03:13 PM
tkilby
APPRENTICE

Originally Posted by kwkracing
yes, i agree, if you want to go solid on the tranny, you are going to need to put a motor plate and tranny plate on the car. If you just put the stock replacement solid mounts, the result is a broken bell housing in most cases. Cars are weak and do alot of twisting and the weak link is something solid. Check and make sure that when the engine mounts are installed, that the tranny mount lines up with no bolt or nut in the crossmember. If its crooked, theres the problem!
Regardless of what is done to the car I would stay with the urethane transmission mount. IMO
Old 05-06-2008, 03:16 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default transmission

I agree, stay away from the solid trans mount. Sounds like the body is flexing. Recommend the cage and front and rear plates.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:18 PM
gpracer
JOURNEYMAN

we have not run a solid trans mount it is the urethane mount i was over there tonite and found out the original motor mount location is off on the drivers side about an eighth of an inch from the pass side so it might have been in a bind anybody heard of this ? we are going to run solid mounts on motor and urethane on trans with plans of caging her soon all info is appreciated and thanks for any more help u can suggest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -