HELP 1982 capri rs 302 build questions/suggestions

Old 04-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Vinny5
SHOW GUEST

Default HELP 1982 capri rs 302 build questions/suggestions

I am building a 302 engine that is perfectly stock on my 1982 mercury capri rs, I have an assorment of parts in my garage that i have collected over the past few months. I am looking to make this into a fun car to drive and to race occasionally on the 1/8th and 1/4 mile. I am on an extreme budget and looking for suggestions and combinations with the parts that i have to create budget horsepower due to college costs.

I have
-302 fully stock and running
-2 barrel stock carb broken choke still runs on engine
-600cfm 1979 holley carb (just rebuilt)
-edelbrock torquer intake (old school single plane with 15 degree carb twist)
-edelbrock performer intake
-procomp 1.6 ratio roller rockers
-1969 351w heads fully assembled
-full length headers(already installed)
-Stock ignition system(revs nice)
-just put in 8.8 rear end with stock gear out of a 1989 gt

I am curious to what combination of parts you would suggest and what horsepower i can hope for. I have a little money and was considering a gear for the rear end to liven up the car a little.

All help is greatly appreciated, this is my first real project and i am looking for any help that is given

thanks alot!
Vinny
Old 04-29-2008, 11:02 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I'd use the performer intake over the torker.
and the Holley 600 4 barrel
The roller rockers are a must.
Then up the rear gears to a 3.73
A small cam would wake it up too, a comp cams high energy 268 would be a good choice w/ matching springs of course.
I would definetly invest in some headers too, I'm pretty sure that year fox bodies had cast iron exhaust manifolds on the v8's.
I'd hold off using them 351 heads for now and save up for a complete build later on.

goodluck Charles
Old 05-01-2008, 12:44 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

I agree the holley 600 cfm.performer intake, headers, gears and a cam around 500 lift and 230 duration with roller rokcers and a good set of heads besides them windsor heads......maybe a set of performers 175 would give you around 300 hp