New slicks not hooking??

Old 04-27-2008, 11:36 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Default New slicks not hooking??

I bought some new MT slicks ( 31x10.5wx15 ) for the Nova last week which is the same brand and size we were running. The old slicks were pretty well used up and the sixty foot times had been steady going up making it difficult to dial and hard on my lights.
Ran the car last night with the new tires and the sixty foot times didn't really jump back to where we were running before the old ones went south.
I played with the air pressure going up and down with it and finally settled in at 12 psi which I thought was kinda high but the car seemed to hook up best there. Oddly the less air the worse it hooked which really didn't make much sence to me other than that the tire may have been cupping at lower pressures and not getting a full contact patch??
I usually run 10.5 psi but last night that was out of the question, am I doing something wrong here? Or does all this sound about the norm for new slicks this size?
I did my burnouts the same as before, I even tried less and more of a burnout but made none to little difference. I am stumbed as to why these tires are responding the way they are. the slicks are screwed to the rim so I know they are not spinningon the rim.
Any inputs here would be apreciated. What air pressure are ya'll running in a tire this size?
Thx Charles
Old 04-27-2008, 11:47 AM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Tires

Do you have video to record a run? You might want to see if you are bottoming out the shocks on take off and unloading the tires. It's hard to see without video to analyze.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:54 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Yes I have a digital camera to use but the imagery and lighting isnt the best.
Thing is the car really hooked up good before the old tires went south, no changes were made to the car other than the slicks wearing out, I just knew the car would be right back to where it was previously but that didn't happen.
The new ones are hooking better than the old ones were at the end but not as good as the old ones once did, if you catch my drift.
Thx Charles
Old 04-27-2008, 12:02 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Hook up

A friend of mine had the same problem and it showed with the new tires. The car would start to hook good then the shocks bottomed out and the tires spun. If you paint the infamous stripe on the tires you can see when it starts to spin. With less pressure the tires don't bite as hard and the problem seems to be lessening.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:06 PM
kslicks
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

By chance do you know for sure they are the same "COMPOUND" tire? I had the same thing happen to me last year. I bought a new set of 14x32x15 M/T and i fell off a ton. I put the old one back on (they were still good, kept for backups), and it picked back up 4-6 hunds in the 60'. Come to find out the great deal i got on the new slicks was for a harder compound tire. Just a thought.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:31 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Compound is what came to mind here,too.Are they the same brand and all?Was track prepped as good as usual?I know that at one of my local tracks,if Scruffy is in charge of track condition,I can hook.If they're letting Slim(actual nicknames,not trying to protect the innocent)doing it....no telling.Sometimes the track just sucks where I live.Just a thought.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

probably the track...did anyone else have problems?
Old 04-27-2008, 06:34 PM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

i replaced a set of 32x14.5x15 mt,s last year, compound should have been the same, but it took about 8 or 9 run,s to wake up the compound.