Thread: 400

do you think a 400 with steel drum 34 element sprag with hardened input and output with transbrake would hold up.or should i also add new herdened gears if available.. thanks for the help

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    How heavy is your car?What kind of converter?What kind of E.T./HP?I'm making "about" 700 hp,3300 lbs,me included and am using all stock TH400 internals,except for a manual valvebody and good clutches.Stock parts are stronger than you think.Just a thought,though.You know how they say "Pro gears"(ring and pinion) are actually softer than a "street gear" to help absorb shock loads?Whereas a street gear is "hard" so as to hold up on the highway for a long time.Seems like hardened parts to a tranny would be going in the opposite direction. :?: Like I said,just a thought or brain fart,depending on how you look at it ops: But,give us some info on you ride.I might not have the info you're looking for,but there are some really sharp guys on here that will.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

i am running a setup like olds48 and have had no problems with the car even launching at 5000 on the brake. all i added was a reverse pattern(which i hate) and a jw bell. goodluck with your car i think you will be fine

Reverse patterns DO suck IMO.The vbody is okay,but can't find a shifter I like.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

Member JUNIOR BUILDER

SHIFTER

cheeta air shifter reverse pattern works great

reverse shifter

i am running a 84 mustang with a 565 bbc with 14.1 and 800 solid roller, have bb2 brodix heads and 5000 precision conv.
    running 9 inch with 410 spool if i run the 400. i mostly street drive will hit test and tune twice a month.
    thank you

Air shifters seem like they would take the fun out of driving.......but WINNING is fun,too