s10 ses help

Old 04-20-2008, 10:39 AM
wolverinevette
APPRENTICE

Default s10 ses help

i have an 02 s10 4x4 and keep getting a code for the bank 1 sensor 2 o2 sensor. it is 141. i have changed the sensor and it still comes on. i have cleared the code, still comes back. i've changed the thermostat, still comes back. i've changed the ect sensor and still, i keep getting the same code. when i clear the code, i can ride for about a day but it never fails to come back and shine at me that i need to service engine soon! please help
Old 04-20-2008, 08:27 PM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Re: s10 ses help

Originally Posted by wolverinevette
i have an 02 s10 4x4 and keep getting a code for the bank 1 sensor 2 o2 sensor. it is 141. i have changed the sensor and it still comes on. i have cleared the code, still comes back. i've changed the thermostat, still comes back. i've changed the ect sensor and still, i keep getting the same code. when i clear the code, i can ride for about a day but it never fails to come back and shine at me that i need to service engine soon! please help
A 2002 model vehice uses "p" codes. This will be a 4 digit code preceded by the letter p. Considering you're chasing an O2 problem I would guess the code in question is P0141. This indicates a heater circuit problem on the rear sensor for bank 1. The rear sensors are used to monitor the performance of the catalytic convertor and I believe there is only 1 rear O2 sensor on that vehicle. Bank 1 indicates the left (driver) side if that is a v-6 and if it's a 4 cyl. bank 1 is the default. . Which sensor have you changed? That code will set if there is a problem with the heater in the sensor (most common failure) or if there is a problem with the 12v or ground for the heater circuit or a problem with the control for the heater, possible the PCM.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:28 AM
signsbyesa
RACING JUNKIE

check out this hot motor for your truck :lol:
http://www.sdparts.com/product/12363...eAssembly.aspx
Old 04-21-2008, 09:45 AM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by signsbyesa
check out this hot motor for your truck :lol:
http://www.sdparts.com/product/12363...eAssembly.aspx
That's a replacement for the old junk 2.8. His truck would have a 4.3 if it has a v6 in it which is way better than the 2.8. It would be alot of trouble and a serious downgrade to convert his truck to that.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:38 PM
wolverinevette
APPRENTICE

Default s10 ses help

hi gearhead1011 you're right, the code is p0141, and i've changed the downstream sensor (bank 1 sensor2) behind the cat, and there is only one downstream. ive actually changed it twice! the first time i did it i had to change the thermostat and the ect, those codes went away but i'm still getting the sensor heater malfunction. i'm f ing sick of it! gas is to darn hi to be riding around wasting it. anyone PLEASE help
Old 04-22-2008, 08:37 AM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

The code p0141 shouldn't have an effect on fuel economy. That code just indicates a problem with the heater circuit for that sensor. You can resistance test the heater circuit in the sensor but considering you have changed twice it's not likely you still have a bad sensor. Sometimes when the sensor fails it shorts the heater to ground and will blow the fuse for it. Then after replacing the sensor there is still no power for the heater and it will continue to set the trouble code. There should be a 20 amp fuse in the underhood fusebox for the rear O2 sensor heater.