mounting fuel cell

Old 04-14-2008, 07:07 PM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

Default mounting fuel cell

as you can see in my racerspace i'm building a chevyll nova wagon..can i mount a aluminum fuel cell in back of wagon by tail gate[inside car]and be nhra legal?i'm going to be running alky in car if this makes any differance on nhra rules..i really don't want to put under rear of car if i can get by with it..
Old 04-14-2008, 08:00 PM
rob41willys
SENIOR BUILDER

No. Per the rule book "All fuel tanks, lines, pumps, valves etc. must be outside of drivers compartment. and within the confines of the frame. All fuel tanks must be isolated from the drivers compartment buy a firewall.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:04 PM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

so;;does the fire wall have to go from roof of wagon down to floor pan?or just up to height of fuel cell..forgot tomention that i'm also going to install a fire system inside car and engine compartment.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:36 PM
rob41willys
SENIOR BUILDER

Fuel tank has to be completely isolated from driver in case of accident.
Rule 1:5 FUEL SYSTEMS
Location: All fuel tanks, lines, pumps, valves, etc. must be outside of the driver's compartment and within the confines of the frame and /or steel body. Cool cans, fuel distrubution blocks, etc. must be located at least 6 inches forward of the flywheel/bellhousing area on rear wheel drive (RWD) vehicles, and on opposite side of flywheel/housing area on front-drive vehicles. Fuel pressure gauge isolaters, with steel braided line, may be mounted on firewall.
TANKS: When permitted by class regulations, fuel tanks located outside body and/or frame must be enclosed in a steel tube frame constructed of minimum 1 1/4-inch O.D. x .058 chromoly or .118 mild steel tubing. All fuel tanks must be isolated from the drivers compartment by a firewall, completely sealed to prevent any fuel from entering the drivers compartment. All fuel tanks must have a pressure cap and be vented outside of body. A positive-locking screw-on fuel tank cap is mandatory on all open-bodied cars. Insulated fuel tank prohibited. When used, fuel cells must have a metal box protecting the part of the fuel cell that is outside of bodylines or trunk floor, excluding hose connection area in rear. non-metallic fuel cells or tanks must be grounded to frame.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:43 PM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

thanks for this information rob41willys;;looks like tank goes under rear floor pan then between my frame rails..if using a aluminum tank will the metal plate be required then?
Old 04-14-2008, 08:58 PM
rob41willys
SENIOR BUILDER

Steel plate would not be required if it's mounted between frame rails and under the floor. Most of the ones i've seen have had an access door in floor for fueling.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:29 PM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

thanks rob41willys;;looks like i can move on now with my build then..if and now that got to go there then i'll do the trap door in floor.thank you for the help on this matter