building a 383 sbc

Old 04-12-2008, 08:16 PM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

Default building a 383 sbc

my girlfriends son wants to build a 383 sbc..i've been away from sbc's for years so rusty on right combo's..the combo he is thinking of is a scat crank[9000 series]i-beam scat rods-speed pro hypereutectic flat top pistons;;;i see that there is crank for 5.7 rods and crank for 6.0 rods..what crank would work best for him and easiest to modify block for?the other thing is he wants to run a b&m 142 blower[4-71 size i believe]and maybe a 100hp shot of nos plate..this is a street truck but he does have a heavy foot...
will these parts listed above be a good combo and hold up?if not what way should he go?
should he use the 5.7 or 6.0 rod crank?
what horsepower estimate would this combo give him?
Old 04-12-2008, 08:25 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Hey'
Long time, no see. I hope you are getting better. I have been down pretty bad in my health now but am still trusting and still believing for me to get better.

Send a PM to Zipper.

He can likely help you on parts buy and also on the full combination. I do not recommend Hypereutetic pistons with a blower though.

Ed
Old 04-14-2008, 02:15 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
Hey Hotrod...
my old Alcohol blown injected motor was a 383ci..it had a scat crank ( 4340), crower steel rods,JE/SRP pistons. 11to1 static compression. with steel bowtie heads (worked alot) 2.05/1.60's...the motor made 900hp and some change at 3% underdrive (9lbs of boost)

the below pic was a taken a few weeks ago..some fella's got the motor from me and attempted to make a pass..cracked a head in the process.

instead of fixing it they sold it to another local guy..he put a set of Dart aluminum heads on the motor and..made a pass in a 3,000 lbs mustang
28x10's,,he peddled the car all the way down the track and still ran 127mph..the et wasn't but like a 5.50...but will run on down there (et) when he can stay in the gas

i say go with forged pistons..really no more money...

the street version 383 will not make the 1k hp mark but it will be a stout piece if built right...6 to 10lbs of boost..I say 650 streetable hp no problems with a good set of heads..

you can make them bad...just wanted to show you how bad below.little 383ci steel head motor had them scracthing their heads for a few years...lol

1st video getting heat in motor
2nd video pass attempt (cracked head)
3rd pic was motor in my nova when i owned it

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 04-14-2008, 03:57 PM
v8Fiero
MASTER BUILDER

stick with forged wherever your budget allows. and I would go with 6" rods (4340 H-beam if you can) becaue they give you less rotating mass (pistons are shorter and dont weight as much) and the 6" also gives less chance of crank-walk because there will be less sideways force on your crank.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:15 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Uhmm...was that a Mustang with a SBC in it???Ya'll did see that Chevy motor try to abondon ship,right??!!!!It didn't like it in there
Old 04-14-2008, 05:31 PM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

well i talked him into a steel[4340] crank and forged pistons with the 5.7 4340 i-beam rods[clearance reasons and i don't like iseal of wrist pin being into oil ring land] and stud the block also going with aluminum heads.convinced him pay now or pay later..he is only going to go with the baby 4-71 blower that uses single carb on it.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:57 AM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by hotrodharley
well i talked him into a steel[4340] crank and forged pistons with the 5.7 4340 i-beam rods[clearance reasons and i don't like iseal of wrist pin being into oil ring land] and stud the block also going with aluminum heads.convinced him pay now or pay later..he is only going to go with the baby 4-71 blower that uses single carb on it.
Use the Maule pistons if your worried about the pin being in the oil ring land we have seen no problems with the pistons with the ring spacers.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:04 AM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

My pistons are the same way,pin thru bottom ring.Mind over matter,really.Looks funky,works fine
Old 04-15-2008, 04:54 PM
cncmotorsports
MASTER BUILDER

Use either a 5.7 rod or a 6.0 rod, most of this will be based on what heads you have and what you can get your compression ratio set at.