Know what I hate

Old 04-09-2008, 04:51 AM
nova2206
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Know what I hate

When you buy a tube car from a guy spend about 3k getting it right and the guy won't answer a simple question..i know he is on here a lot because he has 3 other cars for sale..Watch what you buy, I would have been better off buying a 12 or 13k dollar roller..Live and kearn I guess!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:50 AM
signsbyesa
RACING JUNKIE

i think the guy is happy to have just gotten rid of it, there was a car
on this site that was backedhalved and went to look at it and it was
welded in pieces and rusted thru but the guy insisted on the ad that
it was just fabercated, so i just started from scratch and ended up
with what i wanted, sorry to hear about your problem, but what was
the question you had for your seller? :shock:
Old 04-09-2008, 08:58 AM
nova2206
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

I just asked him a easy safety question about the rear of the car but oh well it probably needs some work too..I have a damn good car now though..All the stuff wrong with this one was hidden very well so couldn't tell until we started to take stuff off..Oh well he did give me a 500 dollar tranny so that slowed the bleeding but sure didn't stop it..
Old 04-09-2008, 09:30 PM
67ss396chevelle
JOURNEYMAN

I went to kentucky and bought a purple 68 camaro T/C with gold flames. guy told me it would certify but I figured if it didnt that was ok my track didnt require it. all the problems with it were hidden. on the drivers side the cage didnt even touch the chasis but was in a place I couldnt see it. he also changed stuff out in the rear. the front end was built off center all kind of crap. I guess thats the way it goes I will be sure to buy one with certification next time.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:26 AM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

I just bought a car that already had the chassis cert tags (expired) for NHRA and IHRA on it. Recertified just fine. Even if the tags had been current I would have had to have it redone anyway since I had a new top put on it. I was too tall for the car. BUT if I was going to travel to buy a car, I'd look into having it checked by a chassis shop near the seller. Cheaper to pay to have it checked out and not buy it than to get home and find out it needs a ton of work.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:52 AM
NorthMotorSports
MASTER BUILDER

Well hell if yall need chassis work done or somethin let me know I build racecars out of my barn and ill do anything I can to help and ill get it done right the first time
Old 04-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Oldewalnut
SENIOR BUILDER

I guess this goes in the "my ,02 for what it's worth category". Something I started doing when I was involved in cars in the old days (20 years ago+). Don't go looking at these things by yourself. Bring a buddy or two along, preferaby friends with equal or better knowledge than yours. It doesn't hurt if you plan to rope them into helping you with the project.

They'll tend to see more of the bad things about a car. That gives one a support system. How many times have you bought something, overlooking it's problems, telling yourself "I can fix that"? Only to bring it home and realize what a headache you've just saddled yourself with?

As far as prices? I've chased a couple that were in my range, drag car rollers. Both had everything I was looking for or at least as good a compromise as I could hope for. I've looked at a few others that, I'm just just not gonna comment on and let it go at that. On the other hand, I've seen alot of street cars that I shake my head at, pricewise anyway. Seems lately anyway, all I need to do is show interest in a car and it sells before I can take any action, LOL!
Old 04-10-2008, 05:33 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Know what I hate

Originally Posted by nova2206
When you buy a tube car from a guy spend about 3k getting it right and the guy won't answer a simple question..i know he is on here a lot because he has 3 other cars for sale..Watch what you buy, I would have been better off buying a 12 or 13k dollar roller..Live and kearn I guess!

Just curious ..did you go look at car before buying ?

just trying to get a little more insight on your situation. :wink:

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 04-11-2008, 03:30 AM
nova2206
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Yeah, I looked at it before giving the cash but like I said the bad crap was covered up, the cage was peiced together,the welds throughout the car where half a$$ed,it had a stock 9 inch not a nodular,the wiring looked like my 2 year old did it..I won't mention the fellow I got it from because he did seem like a good dude but boy I took a beatin..
Old 04-11-2008, 08:23 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by nova2206
Yeah, I looked at it before giving the cash but like I said the bad crap was covered up, the cage was peiced together,the welds throughout the car where half a$$ed,it had a stock 9 inch not a nodular,the wiring looked like my 2 year old did it..I won't mention the fellow I got it from because he did seem like a good dude but boy I took a beatin..

ahhh hmmmmm.... :idea:

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "