9 inch ford pinion bearing shim thickness

Old 04-07-2008, 03:31 PM
jnnance
SHOW GUEST

Default 9 inch ford pinion bearing shim thickness

can anyone tell me the factory shim thickness on pinion bearing?
Old 04-07-2008, 05:23 PM
nghollis
APPRENTICE

Default pinion shims

If you are talking about setting the clearance on the inner and outer pinion bearings there isnt any shims,just a crush sleeve to set preload or drag on the bearings.If you are using a solid spacer and shims to set preload,then you will just have to do it with a trial and error until you get it set right. If this is what you are doing,set it up before you install the seal in the pinion housing.I hope this helps.Thanks Nick
Old 04-07-2008, 07:04 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

The crush sleeve is used to set bearing preload,as stated,but the shims are used to set pinion depth.Every gear set will have a different depth,just about.Are you using stock gears or aftermarket?Aftermarket gears will have the required depth engraved on the face of the pinion,along with the recommended backlash.Hope this helps
Old 04-07-2008, 07:24 PM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by olds48
The crush sleeve is used to set bearing preload,as stated,but the shims are used to set pinion depth.Every gear set will have a different depth,just about.Are you using stock gears or aftermarket?Aftermarket gears will have the required depth engraved on the face of the pinion,along with the recommended backlash.Hope this helps
Yes, if this is what you meant, you can use the same shim you took out, Usually that will get you in the ballpark.
suicidebomb