10 spline axles???

Old 04-06-2008, 10:16 AM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Default 10 spline axles???

10 spline axles??No that is not a typo.I have an old(not sure of exact year)Oldsmobile rearend in my FED.It has good Moser axles but they are the stock 10 spline.My problem is that the rearend does not have a spool.It is an open diff.The car has run a best of 5.40s with no problem,but I would like to have both wheels locked.I cannot find anyone that makes a spool for it (Moser will make the axles but not the spool).So...what now??Weld the spider gears??Redo the whole rear with new axles,spools the works(didn't want to spend that money)?? Before I did that I would just build a 9" for it .Any advive or suggestions please.Biggest reason I don't want to redo the whole rearend is that I bought this car from a friend and don't want to risk hurting his feelings.You know.."your car wasn't good enough for me .."

P.S.Any of ya'll professional machinist out there want to make a spool for me. :?:
Old 04-06-2008, 11:44 AM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default FED

One Very IMPORTANT Thing!?
You are Sitting on that Rear,so if it were Me?I would have something Made in the Last Century!I have Always had Front Engine Cars,now have a Funny Car.It has a 40 Spline Full Floater.When its Your Deal hanging down there,you have to THINK about IT?
Something that you might be able to do?Measure the outside Diameter of the Axles you have now?Maybe they can be re-Splined to a more Modern Spline that you can get a Spool for???
Later
G 8)
Old 04-06-2008, 05:01 PM
topcat572
MASTER BUILDER

Default spiders

Unless Your racing on dirt, welded spiders are illegal. Granted They cant see in there, but if it ever opened up. Your butt would be the 1st thing to know, :wink:
Old 04-06-2008, 05:50 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

DO NOT WELD THE REAR END SOLID!!!!!!---YOU SOUND LIKE YOU HAVE A DEEP VOICE :shock: :shock: YOU MIGHT WANT TO KEEP IT THAT WAY ops: ops: ops: ---HAVE THE AXLES RESPLINED AND BUY A NEW SPOOL :lol: :lol: OR BUILD A NEW TOTAL 9"FAB REAR
LIVELY
Old 04-06-2008, 06:00 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

9"
Old 04-07-2008, 02:21 PM
v8Fiero
MASTER BUILDER

Its not a pretty sight when you blow up a rear end, I know from the first tranny in the fiero, those little spider gears left two separate 6"holes in the tranny case and put a couple nice size dents in the rear part of the engine compartment (luckily out of sight for car shows). you should prolly spend a little money on a good rearend unless your planning on having a sex change in the near future! :shock:

price out how much it would cost to convert to a 9" then that will be your budget limit for having somebody make you a custom spool. it wount come out of a catalog but you should be able to find a machine shop that will be able to make you a custom spool for less $$$ then a whole new 9" setup.

or you can let your GF race it and problem solved for free! :lol:
Old 04-07-2008, 06:49 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Ya'll are thinkin'about like me.Mark Williams sells a 35 spline spool and axle kit for that rearend with 5/8 studs and bearings for $1000.I figured I probably couldn't build a new 9" for that.I wish I had a picture of the splines to show ya'll.They are wild looking!!It looks just like the input off my old Saginaw 4-speed,not big enough to respline I don't think.Do ya'll think the gears could make it thru the housing?I'm sure it could come thru like a Dana 's sheet metal cover ,but I figured it's a pretty thick piece of steel the housing is made out of. :?:This car hasn't been updated since it was built in 1965.Gonna try to go to Madison Height's this weekend.Guy certifying chassis up there.Just wanna see how much work I got ahead of me. At least it's got a "Deal " protector :lol: Check it out!!
Old 04-07-2008, 07:37 PM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

JMO I'd get rid of that U-joint and put a coupler in there, your ankles are way too pretty to wear u-joint jewelry!
Old 04-07-2008, 07:50 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

I actually has a pretty decent gaurd around it.Only the bottom half of it is installed in the pic.See the plate around the pinion?That is where the rear if the gaurd mounts.Kinda hard to make out in the pic.It is made out of 3/16 plate steel.Think it could come thru there?I am admittedly broke and don't want to spend more than I HAVE to,but I only have one set of feet ,too. Budget dictates alot,but I don't cut corners on safety AT ALL.That is why I am asking for suggestions on this.And thanks everyone.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:04 PM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

3/16 plate will absorb a pretty good lick, that u-joint is spinning at engine rpm in high gear, and u-joints have been known to come apart. You'll have to spin a good coupler a whole lot faster than your engine will spin to make it come apart.jmo
suicidebomb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -