racepump or belt drive??????

Old 04-06-2008, 06:29 AM
jaht1320
SHOW GUEST

Default racepump or belt drive??????

Can anyone give me a good reason not to run a "racepump" on my drag car? I'm converting to alcohol this year. I already have the carb (rupert's 1150). I still need to convert the rest of my fuel system. The "racepump" seems like a neat little setup, but I don't know anyone running one. I have a 3000lb door car 477ci BBC, 1.32 60', 7900rpm trap, 9.40's in good air on gasoline. Should I go to a front mounted fuel cell? Any input would be appreciated. I just want a good consistent system. I don't want to spend uneccessary money, but I understand you usually get what you pay for. Also any thoughts on keeping the crankcase evacuated?
Old 04-06-2008, 07:32 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: racepump or belt drive??????

Originally Posted by jaht1320
Can anyone give me a good reason not to run a "racepump" on my drag car? I'm converting to alcohol this year. I already have the carb (rupert's 1150). I still need to convert the rest of my fuel system. The "racepump" seems like a neat little setup, but I don't know anyone running one. I have a 3000lb door car 477ci BBC, 1.32 60', 7900rpm trap, 9.40's in good air on gasoline. Should I go to a front mounted fuel cell? Any input would be appreciated. I just want a good consistent system. I don't want to spend uneccessary money, but I understand you usually get what you pay for. Also any thoughts on keeping the crankcase evacuated?
I am assuming the racepump is the one that mounts in the stock fuel pump location. I've never ran one and never will, a few fellow races got them and had them off in a few weeks because they didnt work worth a crap. Matter fact slowed there cars down a ton. One of them broke already also. No way would I not get a belt drive setup .. you get one and your done, just get a good one.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:57 AM
jaht1320
SHOW GUEST

hammertime, WHO MAKES A GOOD BELT DRIVE PUMP?
Old 04-06-2008, 08:30 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by jaht1320
hammertime, WHO MAKES A GOOD BELT DRIVE PUMP?
A few differents that I have used with good luck,
APD www.apdracing.com
Ron's www.killerrons.com
& BLP I am sure they have a website just not sure what.

I've ran all 3 of these and had great luck with all 3, Just make sure when you do this you get a good bypass regulator, I am sure APD and BLP both
Old 04-06-2008, 12:49 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

If you plan for alcohol go with the beltdrive.
http://www.blp.com/
Old 04-06-2008, 04:34 PM
topcat572
MASTER BUILDER

Default pump

In the late 80s, I had a 468 in a firebird that ran 9.0s with a tunnel ram. I ran the Clay Smith Engineering manuel pump. I think it was rated at 130 gph, gas or alky. I was told it was not enough, Bought the whole Barry Grant 400 deal, and guess what, still 9.0s :shock:
Old 04-07-2008, 08:24 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Belt or cam drive pump all the way.

Enderle
Hilborn
Waterman
CSR

and the companies mentioned above. All good products.