powerglide band question

Old 04-05-2008, 05:06 AM
inVEGArating
SHOW GUEST

Default powerglide band question

I recently put a new planetary and input shaft in my powerglide and while I had it apart I noticed that the center of the band was a very dark brown and the two outside sections were tan in color and I could still read the manufacturer's writing in them,there was nothing broken in the trans and the drum was not burnt on the outside,also the fluid was still in good condition.
This trans was originally built by TCI as one of there "bracket"powerglides and I found out from TCI that this trans has a single ring servo(which I will be changing).My question would be do you think that the servo was not applying the band fully or should I be looking for some other problem?
The car was still running 10.70's like this but it felt like it pulled harder in second gear,well now I see why.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:30 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

I have a TCI glide that I've run for about 12 years. Every time I've freshened it, it's been the same way. I done a number of PG's for other people and haven't seen the same problem.
I tried trueing the drum with no effect. I installed a 1.80 gearset and new input this winter, and a 2 ring servo piston. Hopefully it'll look right next winter...any other thoughts?
Old 04-05-2008, 09:18 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

The 2 ring piston is a great idea, also make sure your band adjustment is between 3 3/4 and 4 turns out, no more no less. Run a couple races and recheck it. Could be slippage or bindup on the shift if the adjustment is too far off either way.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:49 PM
us7race
EXPERT BUILDER

All of the one's I have seen are this way too. More wear on the center setion of the band. But we run the stock servo...
Old 04-05-2008, 05:55 PM
inVEGArating
SHOW GUEST

Thanks for the responses guys,I think I will still change the servo piston and cover(even though jody's looks to be working pretty da** good :shock: )
How often do you guys adjust the band in your glides?I have only been adjusting mine at the beginning of each year but I only take it to the track 2 or 3 times each year,the rest of the time is just street driving,maybe 150 miles per year.

Thanks for the help guys

P.S.-Jody that is a sweet picture of the truck!!
Old 04-06-2008, 03:39 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

I adjust mine every 20-30 passes. May be overkill, but that's just my routine.......