ruff running sbf

Old 04-02-2008, 11:40 AM
quickboss
SHOW GUEST

Default ruff running sbf

anyone got a suggestion. we started up 306ci ford last night. motor was pulled out of car and heads and intake removed and new windsor jr.
intake reinstalled all new gaskets, new oil pump, new plugs, freshlt rebuilt holley 750, new msd 6al, new msd distibutor, new coil, and now it sounds like #2 cylinder is dead. the heads are trik flow twisted wedge, and this motor ran great before we pulled it. it only had a small rear main leak that is why we pulled it. We changed wires,coil,and msd box and still missing. #2 header is not hot but we checked for spark and plug lit up like christmas light. Any Ideas?

quickboss
Old 04-02-2008, 12:56 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default SBF

The first thing I would do would be a compression check. I would go from there. Is it possible the valves to #2 are not adjusted properly?
Old 04-02-2008, 04:52 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Are you sure your firing order is correct? Some performance cams use the 351W firing order. 302 is different in stock form...
Old 04-02-2008, 05:38 PM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

If the compression is good, and the valves are adjusted right, and the firing order is correct, I would guess you have somthing in your intake or head. are all your red rags present and accounted for? Take it from s
someone who knows, an engine wont run right if a red rag gets down in it! Heres another one on me, I keep 8 racket balls in the velocity stacks on my hilborn setup, I was in a hurry to get loaded one morning and jumped in the car to start it up and load it. It wouldn*t fire a lick, and it sucked those racket balls all the way to the butterflys!
Old 04-02-2008, 07:05 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by suicidebomb
If the compression is good, and the valves are adjusted right, and the firing order is correct, I would guess you have somthing in your intake or head. are all your red rags present and accounted for? Take it from s
someone who knows, an engine wont run right if a red rag gets down in it! Heres another one on me, I keep 8 racket balls in the velocity stacks on my hilborn setup, I was in a hurry to get loaded one morning and jumped in the car to start it up and load it. It wouldn*t fire a lick, and it sucked those racket balls all the way to the butterflys!
BOY---I DON'T FEEL ALONE NOW!!!!!!!!!!! ops: ops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 04-02-2008, 10:20 PM
rob41willys
SENIOR BUILDER

For sure check the firing order. Happened to me in my service van, got a re-man 302 and swapped everthing over and started it up and it ran like crap. spent hours trying to figure it out. good spark but dead holes. Finally figured out that it was a HO 302 that uses the 351 firing order. Felt stupid but hey I'm a chevy man.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:23 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by suicidebomb
:lol: :lol: I have sucked many a rag into a carb in a hurry to show off...decided it'd be better to just set an air cleaner on top of it from now on :lol: :lol: I love it when someone tells on themselves :mrgreen:
Old 04-03-2008, 06:08 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

CHECK THE FIRING ORDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ops: ops: ops:

LIVELY
Old 04-03-2008, 06:38 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

:shock: :shock: I think it's the firing order :? :? and i am a mopar man :!: :!:
Old 04-03-2008, 09:38 PM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

If it's just cyl 2 that's dead I doubt it's a firing order problem, you would have 2 dead cylinders because you can't cross just 1 wire. As far as the different firing orders on the Fords go cyl 2 stays the same. The common firing order is 1 5 4 2 6 3 7 8 the windsor and ho 302 is 1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8. If you are using a pcv valve on it I would look at where you plumbed it in. A common mistake when changing the intake/carb is to hook it to a vacuum port that comes off of an intake runner. This will lean out 1 or 2 cylinders that are fed by that runner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -