Check your hitch!

Old 04-01-2008, 05:02 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Check your hitch!

After a few years (4) with same hitch I noticed it was leaning down a little bit so I climbed under and this is what I found.

1 tab was broke off, 1 of the other was cracked all the way to it. Hitch was bent on the ends ! Boy was I shocked ! Got a different one from a buddy that had the same issue so he added some more support with gussets to his. I usually check this 1-2 times a year so sometime end of last season it did it, sure got lucky it didnt break ! Everyone else check yours and be sure ! Hate to see that happen to anyone !
Old 04-01-2008, 07:02 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Your hitch looks exactly like the factory hitch that came on my Dad's F250.It has never broke a tab off,but it does snap off the bolts about 2 or 3 times a year.Wonder if we oughta be using something other than grade 8?

Does ARP make hitch bolts :?: :lol:
Old 04-01-2008, 07:30 PM
hollowayshotrods
RACING JUNKIE

Cannot believe I actually went out with a flashlight and just checked mine.
It is ok, got to tell ya'll, never EVER occured to me to check there. Thanks for the tip!
Eric, I heard you are putting a sbf in your Olds. SAY IT AIN'T SO!!
Old 04-01-2008, 07:43 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hollowayshotrods
Eric, I heard you are putting a sbf in your Olds. SAY IT AIN'T SO!!
Boy you better watch that cussin' on here No small blocks here and definitely not any off brands :lol: Bad enough I got a 9" in it.Hey...hard to beat a freebie.Narrowed housing a friend had,exact width I needed.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:45 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Hey Rudy got any more pics of that rail??Man I wanna check that thing out!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 08:00 PM
hollowayshotrods
RACING JUNKIE

Default rail

gotta tell the truth, couldnt get my big old behind in it, so I stripped it, am putting the 427 (converted to gas, going to try twinDominator 1050s) into either my 68 Nova or the 53 Belair. I knew the cage was too small for me when I bought it, but dang I didnt know it was that small, or maybe I am too big. Oh well, got lots of cool goodies off of it, selling the rest of it, ok my wife raised just a slight amount of hell about me driving that rail, said she would rather me wreck a Bowtie. Sorry I cussed you earlier about the sbf thing, I know your car would spit it out anyway. No glue together parts here either.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:17 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Aww man,that sux!!You sure you can't just suck it in I can't fit in mine right now either.My buddy I bought it from was 5' 10" and 185 lbs and he said it was tight.I'm 6' 3" and 240 lbs and I don't think it's that tight :? I mean I can't steer or shift gears but other than that ........ :roll:
Old 04-03-2008, 01:22 PM
sg5492
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

WOW!!! :shock: I need to go look at mine.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:54 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

You know,this post has got me wondering how long we should keep using the same old straps to haul our cars.What is the service life of those ratchet straps???