Thread: gear ratios

gear ratios

Hey guy's probably a dumb question, but will a change from 3.7 to 4.88 make a car harder to push or should i be looking for a sticky brake etc.

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER gearhead1011's Avatar

Re: gear ratios

Quote Originally Posted by qiksix
    Hey guy's probably a dumb question, but will a change from 3.7 to 4.88 make a car harder to push or should i be looking for a sticky brake etc.
    Depends on how much drag the transmission has on it. With a manual trans it probably won't make much difference but with an automatic it might . Your gear ratio change was 32%. If it took 200 lbs. of force to turn the trans by pushing before it will now take 264 lbs of force to do the same thing which will probably be noticable. If it's real hard to push I would make sure the gear is set up correctly and check all the other obvious stuff for drag.

Thanks Chuck, centre should be alright it was in mates car but will check everything else as it has been sitting for a while.

Steve