Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mounting slicks

mounting slicks

do you have to balance slicks? I cant remember ever seeing wheel weights on them

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE fla1976's Avatar

Balancing

Most of the people I know have their slicks balanced. They use stickon weights on the outside hub area of the rim, and usually tape over that with duct tape.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Yes!! Balance them!! I put a new set on my ol fed once without balancing them. It started to shake so hard at around 800ft that my vision narrowed to pinpoints, and I had a headache for several days....

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    I always said "NO'...but I was running 28x9s.Little tires never gave me any trouble.My buddy has a FED and runs 33x10s.Didn't balance them and it shook so bad he couldn't make it to half track.....1/8 mile.Put her in the trailer.Matter of fact,I just got done balancing mine about two hours ago.Bubble balancers are sooo cool!!!
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    yes ,you can use a bubble balancer ,that is what guys around here do,its pretty simple that way

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE curtisreed's Avatar
    I believe you should always balance them. 16.5-33s on mine, my tire shop can do large 4x4 tires so it is no problem getting them done. The weights are stick on that are placed inside where they can't be seen.

Curtis

Does anyone use stick-on weights WITHOUT taping over them?Do they stay?Cleaning the tape is a hassle
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    I run them without tape. Just need to make sure they clean the wheel pretty good before putting them on. I have had No issue's. Been doing it for 4 years this way and I put alot of passes on my stuff.

You could do like some idiot did my wheels once. Hammer on the lead weights on the outside of my brand new (at the time) draglites. I had even taken them the stick on weights. :shock:

I said "No No No No No... I do not think so."

lucky for him they didn't get scratched up. moron

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER gearhead1011's Avatar
    I agree with us7, I don't use tape on mine, just have to make sure you clean it real good where you stick them. I have been doing it like this for at least 20 years. The only time I had them come off is when I broke a rear. It cleaned all the teeth off the ring gear and the vibration must have shook them off. I doubt tape would've helped then