Alcohol Engine

Old 03-30-2008, 03:51 PM
BadMonza
APPRENTICE

Default Alcohol Engine

I just purchased a car that runs on alcohol. Something I have never messed with before. I read several posts on alcohol on here but I noticed there are several different opions on the subject. My main concern of course is the required maintenance. I purchased the VP lube and added it to the alcohol before putting it into the car. I plan on trying to fire the car up at least once a week or maybe every other week. Do I need to let the car reach 160 or 170 degrees each time I start it? I mean it really has to run a while for it to really warm up and if I do not need to let it run that long I prefer not to and I know my wife prefers it not to either because of the noise. Any advise and help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-30-2008, 06:36 PM
sc4405
JUNIOR BUILDER

I don't know if you are carbed or injected, but the primer plus system is the schizzle on alcohol motors. Basically a gasoline spray bar under the throttle body, you start and warm the engine on gasoline and switch to alky before going in the water. Won't milk your oil and saves a bunch of $$$ on fuel. 8) JB
Old 03-31-2008, 02:34 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

IMO, if your start it, you need to warm it up. I personally wouldn't start it unless you have too for tuning ect. You'll accomplish nothing but milking the oil and wasting fuel. Save it for the track...
Old 03-31-2008, 07:22 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

If you're not going to race every weekend, drain the fuel system...

Alky, if left unchecked, will corrode fittings, even the anodized aluminum ones.

It will also collect moisture, corrupting the fuel.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:53 PM
BadMonza
APPRENTICE

What about running a gallon of race gace thru the engine when it is going to set up for a few weeks? Someone said you could just pour in a gallon of race gas and run it thru to lubricate everything before letting it sit for a while. :roll:
Old 03-31-2008, 03:14 PM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Ok, dumb question, will a engine run on gasoline when that engine is set up to run on methanol? I*ve got an engine set up to run on methanol but never tried it. NOT trying to start a argument but gasoline is a solvent and will wash lubricant away and leave parts high and very dry.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:19 PM
demented
JUNIOR BUILDER

I usually run the motor to warm it up but I pull the fuel shut off half way or so, and let it lean the motor at idle. Builds heat very quickly in the motor.I am planning on putting on a heater put I still will heat the motor the way I have as well. Also don't let the fuel sit in the system for long. A day or two is the max. Blow out your lines,Barrel valve, pump and put a good lube in it like WD-40 or I use Tri-Flow. Tri Flow works very well. I also put a little Tri Flow in the spark plug holes and crank it over a couple times. Everyone has there own way of maintaining an alcohol system.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:41 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Run gas through it . Make a gas primer from a N2O plate.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:45 PM
bigcrunch
APPRENTICE

my 2 cents, drain the fuel system completely, tank, pump, valves, carb\injector,,,, everything that comes in contact with the alcohol. I fill the lines, pump, injector hat, valves,,,etc with marvel mystery oil including some down the supercharger. Spin it over by hand and let it get into the cylinders.

as previously stated alcohol is very corossive. I had a fitting loose it sealing edge even after above mentioned "winterizing".