tire clearance

Old 03-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default tire clearance

How much room in general do you need to keep between the tire and the frame? My wheels have a 5 inch BS now and there is a 1/4 inch spacer behind it...there is about an inch or slightly less between the tire and frame rail...(32 x 14 stiff sw )
I didn't build the car...and you can see where the tire has rubbed the wheel tub at some point..but I don't know if that was with or without that spacer. The reason I ask is I am shopping for new wheels
Old 03-28-2008, 09:20 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

I WOULD KEEP AT LEAST 1 1/2 INCHES MINIMUM CLEARANCE :shock:I HAVE 2 INCHES ON MY RANCHERO BETWEEN THE SIDES --WITH TO CLOSE OF DISTANCE IF IT EVER GETS CROSSED UP IT COULD TAKE THE SIDEWALL OUT AND THE TERROR WOULD BEGIN :cry: :cry: :cry:

NO FUN AND VERY EXPENSIVE :twisted: :twisted:
Old 03-29-2008, 06:28 AM
us7race
EXPERT BUILDER

Mine have never hit and were between 1/2"-1" from the frame..That was before I narrowed the frame.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by us7race
Mine have never hit and were between 1/2"-1" from the frame..That was before I narrowed the frame.
They are about an inch now with a 5" bs wheel. Need new wheels but can't afford aluma stars or magnums...The studs are set up for a wheel that is thick like a draglite...was thinking of getting some of those and the price is way better than the other wheels but they don't have a 5" BS ...was thinking of trying a 5 1/2 bs which would put it about a half inch from the frame...

the wheels on it now are either crager tricks or centerline autodrags not sure which...they are ugly.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:51 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

YOU HAVE TO REALIZE THAT IF THE SIDEWALL BULGES OUT UNDER A LOAD AND THAT SMALLEST DISTANCE IS IN THAT AREA-- YOU WILL MAKE CONTACT WITH THAT SIDEWALL AND EITHER CUT THE TIRE :cry: OR SCRAPE IT ops: :cry: / WHICH CAN LEAVE A BRUISE AND CAUSE TIRE FAILURE LATER ON :shock: :shock: --I WOULD CHECK VERY CAREFULLY AFTER DRIVING THE CAR / SWERVING BACK AND FORTH AND TAKING OFF ON A HARD LAUNCH[ IF YOU SEE NOTHING SCRAPED -YOU MIGHT BE SAFE]---REMEMBER TO RACE SAFE SO YOU CAN RACE AGAIN

LIVELY
Old 03-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by lively
YOU HAVE TO REALIZE THAT IF THE SIDEWALL BULGES OUT UNDER A LOAD AND THAT SMALLEST DISTANCE IS IN THAT AREA-- YOU WILL MAKE CONTACT WITH THAT SIDEWALL AND EITHER CUT THE TIRE :cry: OR SCRAPE IT ops: :cry: / WHICH CAN LEAVE A BRUISE AND CAUSE TIRE FAILURE LATER ON :shock: :shock: --I WOULD CHECK VERY CAREFULLY AFTER DRIVING THE CAR / SWERVING BACK AND FORTH AND TAKING OFF ON A HARD LAUNCH[ IF YOU SEE NOTHING SCRAPED -YOU MIGHT BE SAFE]---REMEMBER TO RACE SAFE SO YOU CAN RACE AGAIN

LIVELY
I have never felt it rub the way it is .....I will probably just have to bight the bullet and buy some aluma stars or magnums...just don't want to have to put spacer in there if I can help it.

Thanks guys
Old 03-30-2008, 12:33 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

I HAVE RUN SPACERS BEFORE BUT HAD THE LONG STUDS INSTALLED--MOST NHRA INSPECTORS WON'T ALLOW THEM--WHY DON'T YOU ADVERTISE FOR SOME NICE USED RIMS?==SOMETIMES YOU JUST BUY USED AND HAVE TO CLEAN THEM UP REAL GOOD----IT IS WORTH THE SAVINGS AT TIMES!!!!!-----GO FOR IT :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 03-30-2008, 01:02 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by lively
I HAVE RUN SPACERS BEFORE BUT HAD THE LONG STUDS INSTALLED--MOST NHRA INSPECTORS WON'T ALLOW THEM--WHY DON'T YOU ADVERTISE FOR SOME NICE USED RIMS?==SOMETIMES YOU JUST BUY USED AND HAVE TO CLEAN THEM UP REAL GOOD----IT IS WORTH THE SAVINGS AT TIMES!!!!!-----GO FOR IT :lol: :lol: :lol:
it has 5/8 drive studs. Been watch'n ebay for some used ones.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:50 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

If you need more clearance at the frame why not go with 4 1/2 inch BS or do you have clearance issues with rear quarters? Usually racejunk has quite a few ads with wheels with BS in that range for sale in the tire and wheel section. Hope that helps.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by BEAST477
If you need more clearance at the frame why not go with 4 1/2 inch BS or do you have clearance issues with rear quarters? Usually racejunk has quite a few ads with wheels with BS in that range for sale in the tire and wheel section. Hope that helps.
can't...will rub the quarters...tires barely fit the car. I think next set I will go a little smaller maybe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -