Thread: 1.6 to 1 rockers under stock valve covers???

Junior Member APPRENTICE

1.6 to 1 rockers under stock valve covers???

i have a 97 vortech 350, i know that the stock pushrods are weak and i am wanting to put 1.6 rockers in it. i am told by a local "crooked" machine shop that i will have to buy tall valve covers. theres a problem with that. i have put this motor in a 97 s10 everything done right i used the factory wireharness its still fuel injected just rewrote the cpu. its all factory lookin i even have my air cond. i do not believe i can put tall valve covers in there. i have to take fenders off just to change plugs!
    gas is on the right
    brakes are for p#ssy's

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    They should clear stock valve covers. The real issue is the hole in the head that the pushrod comes up through. A 1.6 rocker has the pushrod seat relocated closer to the stud to change the ratio. The hole in the head may have to be elongated to gain the necessary clearance.....

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE mopar1968's Avatar

rockers

If it helps you i have a small block mopar and i have 1.7 roller rockers on it.
    Head's up the true drag race!!

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    what johnracer said. i've got the same set up in my pu and the guy that put the engine together before me didn't open up the push rod guides. there was a little wear on the push rods. i opened em up when i had the heads off last year. the only time i think you'll need the tall covers is when you put a girdle on.

Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER
    Are we talking non roller 1.6's or rollers?I just went to full rollers on a sbc with no girdle and had to get spacers for covers.I'm not a engine guru.But I did have my exp with full rollers and valve cover clearance.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    mine are crane gold self aligning 1.6.