small block chevy

Old 03-23-2008, 08:14 AM
gpracer
JOURNEYMAN

Default small block chevy

i have a 377 and just found out number 7 cylinder is dead no compression took it apart and can find nothing visully wrong can anybody tell me what to do next or if u have had this problem and what i need to do to fix it thanks guys
Old 03-23-2008, 08:48 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

A leak down test could have told where the compression was going before you took it apart. With no compression at all, you probably have a valve that is bent or not seating. Try filling the #7 ports or combustion chamber with water or solvent and see if the valves hold....
Old 03-23-2008, 06:00 PM
gpracer
JOURNEYMAN

thanks i did put fluid in ports the intake leaked right away so does that mean a valve job then all fixed??
Old 03-23-2008, 06:33 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

I'd get that fixed, bolt the head back on and perform a leak down test to confirm that the rest is ok. Might be best to make sure your piston to valve clearance is good if the valve is bent.....
Old 03-23-2008, 06:45 PM
sg5492
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

I always run a leak down test before I pull them apart. You can get alot of info from that test.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:33 PM
gpracer
JOURNEYMAN

thanks for the info i have another set of heads gonna bolt them on and see what happens and do the leakdown test i hope all is good any more info would always help
Old 03-23-2008, 08:58 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by johnracer
I'd get that fixed, bolt the head back on and perform a leak down test to confirm that the rest is ok. Might be best to make sure your piston to valve clearance is good if the valve is bent.....
X2,

it's hard to realize that (O) compression can not be seen if it's valves, they should be bent really bad.
Let us know what you found?

Zip.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:37 AM
gpracer
JOURNEYMAN

i bolted on another head and got compression so i know its in the head so i am taking the heads in for a valve job and check for cracks thanks guys for your input have a great day
Old 04-06-2008, 06:15 AM
gpracer
JOURNEYMAN

thanks guys motor all back together and running good just some fine tuning and be ready to race thanks agian