bad water pump?

Old 03-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default bad water pump?

I think I might have a bad water pump on my big block. The transmision is slipping so I adjusted the pinion angle to -3.1234 deg.
I then talked to a local race motor builder and he said that big blocks will spin the rod bearings if you don't have a nuetral safety switch hooked up...so I took the jets out of the carburator and it ran great for awhile...but now the left rear tire keeps going flat....I think maybe the water pump is bad or the fuel pump... Any ideas?
Old 03-22-2008, 02:52 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Your probably correct, but you might check the kanooter valve...
Old 03-22-2008, 04:49 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Default re; bad water pump

Rollers or flat tappet, solids or hydraulics? A bad Kanooter valve, will cause it to detonate! Check your rear seal. Don*t know about the pinon angle though, Are you running oil restrictors, Also if the spring gets lodged in the oil screen, it could cause a springy pickup.
suicidebomb
Old 03-22-2008, 05:53 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

I LOCTITE MY ROD BEARINGS IN MY BBC!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 06:42 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re; bad water pump

Calm down dude, of course I know that reseting the pinion angle will screw up the fuel pump! I just didn*t want to hurt his feelings.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:13 AM
Stappy
JOURNEYMAN

I believe you have a flux capacitor problem......it's what makes time travel possible.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:33 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Re: re; bad water pump

Originally Posted by suicidebomb
Rollers or flat tappet, solids or hydraulics? A bad Kanooter valve, will cause it to detonate! Check your rear seal. Don*t know about the pinon angle though, Are you running oil restrictors, Also if the spring gets lodged in the oil screen, it could cause a springy pickup.
suicidebomb
That's a valid point. I'd forgotten how detonation prone the old analog Kanooter valves were. With introduction of digital Kanooters in mid '02, the occurance of Kanooter initiated detonation was a thing of the past...
Old 03-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

for the record, I started this "in the pits" it was moved here.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:32 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

I HAD TO PUT 125 POUNDS OF HELIUM IN MY DRIVESHAFT TO KEEP MY SBF RUNNING COOL[ WITHOUT THE COMP VALVE HOOKED UP :cry: :cry: ]
Old 03-22-2008, 10:33 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Default re; bad water pump

THATS RIGHT!!! we had a bad kanooter once that caused us to have to use a rather unorthodox fuel... Coleman fluid, we set our total timing to 13*. We burned up the upper drive flange, dumba$$ us we forgot to chamfer on the block side! Tee Hee we*ll never do that again!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -