POWER STROKE OR CUMMINS WHICH ONE IS BETTER HELP

Old 03-21-2008, 09:13 PM
bigray
DYNO OPERATOR

Default POWER STROKE OR CUMMINS WHICH ONE IS BETTER HELP

HELP,getting ready to buy a pull truck a 05 to 06 ford or dodge diesel.four door duelly.WHICH ONE IS BETTER DODGE OR FORD......HELP I CANT DECIDE...........
Old 03-21-2008, 10:44 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

IMO the powerstroke 7.3 is a good motor. We have both the cummings and powerstroke. Powerstroke seems to have more power.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:48 PM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

The '05-'06 ford is going to have the 6.0 in it and that's not nearly as good a motor as the 7.3. Performance-wise it's supposed to run better than the 7.3. The big problem with the 6.0 is head gasket failure. I have heard Ford did an upgrade that is supposed to solve this problem but I think I would stay away from the 6.0 although I have a friend that has had the Ford with the 6.0 and never had a problem with it. With the Dodge you have to worry about a lift pump failure that will take the injection pump out, a repair that runs upwards of 2k. You can put a fuel pressure gauge or a low pressure warning light on the Dodge. This will let you know when the lift pump fails and can save you the expense of replacing the injector pump. I hate to say it because I'm a Ford guy but if I was shopping for a '05-'06 diesel truck I would go with the Dodge.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:56 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by gearhead1011
The '05-'06 ford is going to have the 6.0 in it and that's not nearly as good a motor as the 7.3. Performance-wise it's supposed to run better than the 7.3. The big problem with the 6.0 is head gasket failure. I have heard Ford did an upgrade that is supposed to solve this problem but I think I would stay away from the 6.0 although I have a friend that has had the Ford with the 6.0 and never had a problem with it. With the Dodge you have to worry about a lift pump failure that will take the injection pump out, a repair that runs upwards of 2k. You can put a fuel pressure gauge or a low pressure warning light on the Dodge. This will let you know when the lift pump fails and can save you the expense of replacing the injector pump. I hate to say it because I'm a Ford guy but if I was shopping for a '05-'06 diesel truck I would go with the Dodge.
opps missed the year he is correct the 6.0 has lots of head gasket problems and dead on with the lift pump on the cummings $1500.00 to rebuild $2200-$3000 for a reman one and its very common. Still a better truck over a 6.0 you should look at a older ford with a 7.3
Old 03-22-2008, 12:11 AM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by hammertime
Originally Posted by gearhead1011
opps missed the year he is correct the 6.0 has lots of head gasket problems and dead on with the lift pump on the cummings $1500.00 to rebuild $2200-$3000 for a reman one and its very common. Still a better truck over a 6.0 you should look at a older ford with a 7.3
That's what I did. I bought a 2000 3 years ago. I think Ford used the 7.3 until '03 or '04. Then in 2007 they went to the 6.4 which from what I've heard is a good powerplant.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:47 AM
kw89425
MASTER BUILDER

i have an 06 1 ton dodge with almost 69,000 miles on it. i got it in feb. 06 from then till july 06 i pulled campers and trailers that was how i paid the bills. it is an auto didnt think i would like that but i like it pretty well. i havent had any problems at all out of the truck. i ran up and down the road with chevys and fords pully exact trailers. it still has the stock pipe but i did put a cold air kit on it trust me when i say it will out pull the other 2 any day of the week.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:53 AM
bigray
DYNO OPERATOR

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE INPUT.i think we are going to buy a dodge this weekend.its sounds like the better truck.i like the lift pump guage a lot better than a head gasket problem. i couldn't think of a better place to ask this question than right he among other racers that pull race car trailers.thanks again.GOING SHOPPING
Old 03-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Scotty2
SENIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by kw89425
i have an 06 1 ton dodge with almost 69,000 miles on it. i got it in feb. 06 from then till july 06 i pulled campers and trailers that was how i paid the bills. it is an auto didnt think i would like that but i like it pretty well. i havent had any problems at all out of the truck. i ran up and down the road with chevys and fords pully exact trailers. it still has the stock pipe but i did put a cold air kit on it trust me when i say it will out pull the other 2 any day of the week.
My brother has an 06 Dodge .... 2 sets of injectors and 1 turbo with180,000KM (110,000 miles )I run fords
Old 03-22-2008, 08:07 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Default ford-dodge

I work at a chrysler-dodge dealership there is a ford dealer next door, i work on cummins, the only problem with the cummins is computer updates, as far as mechanical none whatso ever, now the ford guys tell us that they are replacing engines at least 3 per week, for blown headgaskets, egr cooler leaking coolant into cylinders and hydrolocking them bending rods.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:14 PM
bigray
DYNO OPERATOR

the only thing i can seem to find bad on the dodge's is fuel lift pump.but they say just install a fuel press guage.and keep an eye on it. i guess the real kicker is we race with a dodge diesel mech.and it's kinda like having the mech with you all the time.but damn i like the room in the ford;s but i really think its going to be a dodge.i found a 05 four door duelly,with 74k and an auto for 18500.00 and new tires.and never had a goosneck in it.look's like were going to the bank monday.thanks to everybody for all the input...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -