Breaking in a motor with coated headers

Old 03-17-2008, 11:55 AM
ashtrak
MASTER BUILDER

Default Breaking in a motor with coated headers

I have always heard that breaking in a motor with coated headers is a no-no. Now does this apply with new coated headers or all coated headers. I would think if you use a used set of coated headers, Something that has been through a difference in tempertures that it would be okay to dyno a new motor with them but i would like to know before doing so or what would happen to them if i did. Thanks to all that reply
Old 03-17-2008, 05:47 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

They should be fine. Just make sure you have plenty of timing in it. I broke one in once with the timing really retarded and the coating on the headers didn't make it. They were glowing red hot very quickly due to unburned fuel in the pipes...
Old 11-10-2008, 04:37 PM
mopar873
SHOW GUEST

Just don't try it with Jet-Hot coated headers. We received nothing in the literature provided not to break in an engine. A break in of a basic street small block curled up the coating everywhere. When talking to Jet-Hot, they acknowledged that it was okay to break in an engine like this one. Their form of customer service was "offering" to have me mail the headers back for over $100 bucks AND having me pay for new coating. I had heard great things about them until that personal experience.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I never heard that before...why does it damage them? what is different about the motor during break in vs one that is already broken in?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:04 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

haha, thats kinda funny instructions
Old 11-10-2008, 05:38 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I've broke motors in with chrome headers with no issues, jet hot should be fine.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:42 PM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

I bought a set of super comp coated headers within a month they started to rust where the collector was welded. thank goodness I bought them from my local speed shop.they swap them out. the new ones are about a year old and starting to show signs of rust.

I will never buy coated headers again,I will have them coated by nitro plating myself. :evil:
Old 11-11-2008, 04:15 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Best coater around now is Nitro Plate now offering colored coating very trick stuff top notch guys also.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:11 AM
ashtrak
MASTER BUILDER

Well guys I already dynoed motor. I found a set of used Headers (NOT COATED) to breakin motor. Todd I thought the same thing but someone once said that if your motors lean it will kill the coating (Not sure just heard) so thats why I asked. But anyway thanks for all the replies also I have heard that airbourne coating in N.C. was a good place to have headers done.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:10 AM
ARUSSELL
MASTER BUILDER

From what I have heard it is Ok to break in a motor with coated headers, the only thing is if you get the pipes hot it can make the coating flake off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -