CVR OIL PUMPS GOOD OR BAD

Old 03-16-2008, 05:42 AM
promod45
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default CVR OIL PUMPS GOOD OR BAD

i AM LOOKING AT BUYING THE CVR BILLET OIL PUMP FOR A SBC AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS RUN THEM AND WHAT PRO'S AND CON'S THERE ARE,, THANKS
Old 03-16-2008, 10:26 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

I have I have yet to use. It appears to be well designed, however, the first one I received had the gears binding. They replaced it and the new one is better, but I ended up putting in a Titan I had. Solid piece otherwise, just be sure it spins smooth.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:06 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

No excuse for an oil pump to come bound up. Not when it's costing that much money. Poor QC.

I'm going with a Titan Sportsman pump... Gerotor is the way to go.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:04 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

I now do Titan Oil Pumps on everything I do. That includes low budget street/strip SB engines. The old days of us all using Melling Pumps has been gone for awhile.

Now in a way becuase Melling changed gears to screw racers, it put me on the tral for better. I found better and in my opinion it is the best and is one major engine concern I have no concerns about now. Yes' It is hard to convince someone to spend $400 plus for an oil pump in an engine that is maybe $4,500 but I am doing them a favor.

Usually when I show them how thin the new Melling pump is and one with busted powdered gears is all it takes. Oh' I also have a 55 HMV here that also doesn't turn very well either. Good object lessons to justify a one time purchase for the life of the engine. Same with the oil filters we are now doing.

Ed
Old 03-17-2008, 11:08 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Ed,

What oil filters are you using now?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:30 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

I have been using only the Pure Power Filters now for almost two years. I have bought so many I am now a Pure Power Dealer. lol.

www.gopurepower.com

I am totally sold on it, but it is costly and will give sticker shock as compared to Fram, Wix, Ac etc. Not the same at all.

It is API Certified to filter down to 22 micron nominal. The really trick high tech machined bypass uses a check ball with spring and will not open unless the filter element is full of trash. It will not open when the oil is cold and at high pressure.

Chevy style screw on
pt# 8440 - 31 gpm flow
chev paper style filter 5-7 gpm flow w/paper type filter

Ford/Mopar style screw on.
8431 - 22 gpm flow
Ford Paper style filter - 5-7 gpm flow w/ paper type filter

Pure Power Remote Filter system Small Engines
pt# 8600 - gpm 29 flow
Pure Power Remote Filter system Large Engines
pt# 8900 - gpm 39 flow

I just recently had a customer begrudgingly let me buy one for his engine, but when it was on the dyno and he saw in person how quick and how easy it is to check his engine with it, how quick and easy it is to clean and most of all how well it filtered he became sold like me. Then he decided to buy them for all his fleet trucks. lol.

The only similarity with this and the System 1 is that it is removable and cleanable. It filters better, flows more than anything available, and is fully 100 % high quality machined from aluminum billets. I guess I need to also post a pic of what the bypass looks like. IT is a high quality machined piece from aluminum billet that looks a little like a satellite from NASA in my opinion. It uses a steel ball with a long spring as a check valve and absolutely will not open when engine oil is cold. It will only open if filter element is fully clogged with trash.

Need any more info let me know.

Ed
Old 03-20-2008, 07:23 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Ed;

I always wondered how oil could flow through a paper element.

http://www.gopurepower.com/site/prod...ce-filters.pdf

According to their brochure, it doesn't (which now makes sense to me).

How much is one of these bad boy filters for a BBC?
Old 03-20-2008, 10:37 AM
topcat572
MASTER BUILDER

Default filter

$250 if I looked at the right one. :wink: