Thread: First time wiring HELP (GM ALTERNATOR)

Junior Member APPRENTICE

First time wiring HELP (GM ALTERNATOR)

I am wiring my first street stock car. Can some tell me, what wires connect to a GM ALTERNATOR. You have the bigger prong on the back, then a connector on the top, with 2 wires.

I've got the push button switch, and the starter wired right, just lost on the alt. Can someone help....

Member JOURNEYMAN
    take a 10 gauge braided wire from your battery to the stud on the back. and from the same stud to the two spad terminals on the top, and connect it to the terminal on the right. connect a 14 gauge wire form the terminal on the left and run it to a volt gauge and the other wire on the volt gauge to a fused " ignition on" power source.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    don't forget the one way diode in the power wore from the 2 terminal connector. you should be able to get that harness at the parts store.

You can also change regulator to self exciting one, makes it a one wire hookup, wire from battery(thru fusible link) to rear of alternator. Alot cleaner looking.

Quote Originally Posted by rickmartin96
    You can also change regulator to self exciting one, makes it a one wire hookup, wire from battery(thru fusible link) to rear of alternator. Alot cleaner looking.
    Sorry not sure how this works but I have a 1988 chevy a lot of it was gone when I got It / now new carb headers manafold now I have a lot wires but no plug for them can I just cut them off it runs with out them

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Like rm96 said. Go to NAPA and get a part# 13-4011SW alternator. You just bolt it up and run a 10 gauge wire, either straight to the battery, or to the large stud post on your starter. Clean look & job is done.

TS1955