Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to start out with new car

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

how to start out with new car

Okay,most of ya'll know that I just finished the backhalf on my car.Ya'll also know that my car is not real fast,high 6's in the 1/8.But to be honest,I am a little concerned about just taking a car that I have basically never driven and blasting down the track.Any suggestions on what to do when I first go back?Anything I need to check before I go,or keep an eye on when I do go?Any help appreciated.I have been known to overlook the most simplest of things before.Thanks Eric
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

Senior Member DYNO TECH
    I think a few test runs are in order
    part throttle -mid throttle etc.

I agree with rabiddawg. Just go easy a few passes. Give everything a check over when you get back to the pits. Look for things that may have came loose or moved.
    I'm in the same boat you are. I'm going from a 14 sec street car to a 9 sec (hopefully) altered.

just drive down the track the first pass, then check to make sure everything stayed togeather, make a few launch,s. repeat the second part, then drop the mall on,er

my car

my Car is a 1971 ford pinto its DIRT CAR WE BOUGHT OFF OF DINK 21 WE WOULD LIKE TO SALE IT OR TRADE IT
    ITS A ROLLER

Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER
    I know! Call Mythbusters to come and set it up for remote control useage. Then they can try it at full throttle for you on the first pass, :lol: . J/K If it can driven on the street any, drive it around the block, or as far as you can legally, if it's not to far at first. Bring it back and check everything as everyone has said for loose bolts, broken welds, binding, scraping and so forth. If everything is good you might try a decent burnout and launch, check again. My first time with a tubbed car, even though I knew it was well tested, scared the crap out of me. Theres a lot of new noises, such as the small amount of slack in the heim ends, centering bar and so forth. You could make a turn in it and hear the backend move to the new position. Even though nothing was that loud, I could hear all the new noises and it unnerved me. Now then I still hear a few noises from my current ride, but know it's normal and can concentrate on motor noises. I can't hear my wife ask for me to get her a pop, but can hear a rocker arm thats out of clearance by a few thousanths at 3000 RPM, LOL Good Luck and have fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by insane4fbodys
    I can't hear my wife ask for me to get her a pop, but can hear a rocker arm thats out of clearance by a few thousanths at 3000 RPM, LOL Good Luck and have fun with it.
    Ain't that the truth!!Funny how that works :lol: Thanks guys.Little bit nervous and I don't know why.Confident in my work,just seems like I got the jitters.Maybe I'm not nervous atall.Maybe I'm just excited
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

First run I made in my car I just let her have it and then hoped for the best...pretty stupid considering it has "MANUAL DRUM BRAKES FRONT AND REAR"...I remember thinking near the finish line "Oh shit...I hope the brakes work.. " :shock:

Hey bubba,manual drums front and back here,too.MAN BRAKES if you ask me!!!

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Double check your heim bolts and lug nuts then let er eat LOL