spragless on the street?

Old 03-05-2008, 04:46 PM
sailplane
SHOW GUEST

Default spragless on the street?

is it feasable to run a spragless on the street. i understand that the convertor dosn't freewheel like an normal one. so what harms can occur. and will it totally destroy fuel milage not that its a big concern cause i am building a 1100 hp twin turbo sbc for the steet strip and trying to find out wich convertor to go with. i have a 400 turbo with transbrake and 4.11 gears in hopefully a 3200 lbs 67 chevy truck.. i emailed a few companies and the only responce i got was from fuddle. i also was thinking hughes or coan. i dont no much about quality from any of them but would appreciate recomendations. fuddle seems to be the cheapest and i was told from somone on a differant forum that the 3 fuddles they have recieved come in a hughes box. anyways all help is aprecciated..
Old 03-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

If you want spragless call TSI the inventors of it I believe . thats TRANSMISSION SPECIALITES inc .There in aston, PA .David.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:19 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

Do not run a spragless on the street. It will never lock up on the highway and create a lot more heat. A drag car with a sprag releases minimally during the run, a street car releases a lot. Hughes, ATI, Neil Chance, Coan, Transmission Specialties as well as a few other make a good product, don't chance an unknown here.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:20 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Not trying to hijack this thread or anything, but what are the advantages of running a spragless converter over a convetional one in a dragcar?

Charles
Old 03-10-2008, 05:06 PM
lmccoll
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Just went through this myself

A spragless converter can stand more horsepower, but is not to be driven on the street any at all. If you drive more than 1/2 mile to 1 mile, it will overheat the transmission in a hurry. The sprag is a weak link in the converter. The sprag allows some oil to bypass in the converter and reduces heat a lot. A well built Sprag converter depending on brand and type can be rated as high as around 600 hp. The cheaper (less than $200) converters might handle 400 to 450 hp, a 600 horsepower converter is going to cost twice that usually.

If you are going more than about 600 horsepower, you will need a spragless, but don't drive it down the road and back.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:04 AM
insane4fbodys
SENIOR BUILDER

WOW! Now I'm confused, :shock: I have a little BBC with 22PSI of boost. Should make about 1100HP on the small tune. I was told since, I'm going to take it to shows and drive it on the street mostly, that I needed 1 with a sprag. Then I explained that it would be taken down the track on some weekends and the story changed to a spragless. I have not broke down to buy 1 yet since my car is still a few months from completion. But I guess I better call TSI and ask some real pros about this 1.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:38 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Sorry to dispute this, but I've been running a TSI spragless on the street for years.

Granted, my driving range due to fuel limitations is about 20 miles round trip, but it's never had any issues due to over heating. In fact, it's never had any issues at all.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:51 AM
topcat572
MASTER BUILDER

Default hp

Over 600 hp, You have to go spragless? Man, are a lot of people messing up? :roll:
Old 03-11-2008, 09:26 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I bought a 5800rpm TSI 8 inch spragless for my bbc 496 going in my 69 camaro, its not a street car by any stretch of the imagination but hell I'd like to freak the neighbors out when I get it done and idle it around the block a time or two but now I'm not sure.
I'll have 2 coolers for the trans one in the radiator and a big 8 pass up front of the radiator, I would assume its enough to keep the tranny cool?
><Cp
Old 03-11-2008, 10:30 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by cepx111
I bought a 5800rpm TSI 8 inch spragless for my bbc 496 going in my 69 camaro, its not a street car by any stretch of the imagination but hell I'd like to freak the neighbors out when I get it done and idle it around the block a time or two but now I'm not sure.
I'll have 2 coolers for the trans one in the radiator and a big 8 pass up front of the radiator, I would assume its enough to keep the tranny cool?
><Cp
I don't run a cooler. The lines are looped. Then again, my spragless is a 10", setup as tight as they can get it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -