New here,need advice

Old 02-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Greek32
SHOW GUEST

Default New here,need advice

Have yet to race, have serious passion for it. Would like some input on maybe what class to start, funding issues, prefferable car, etc...I know it's alot, but any input is GREATLY appreciated. I have to finally get this going.... waited too long and life too short! Thx fellas in advance!
Old 02-25-2008, 11:08 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

First off, welcome to the forum and welcome to dragracing!
Its great to meet new people interested in this great sport.
I would recomend a DOT street class first if they have one at your local track or you could go in footbrake class, both are entry level classes but don't let that fool you, rest assured there are plenty of talented drivers running in them classes ready to take your money.
You'll want to work on the tree first thing. You will need to consistentley cut a light to be competetive or you'll be wasting your time and money which I'm sure you already know if you know anything at all about dragracing or bracket racing. Its the one thing that will get you an advantage over you opponent.
I would recomend going to a few test and tune sessions working on your reaction times till you get comfortable feel like you can be competetive.
There's much more to talk about and learn but I'm not real sure where yoru at and what all you know already so I'll just leave it at that for now.
Let us know what all you've done and know about dragracing and we'll go from there.

Goodluck, Charles
Old 02-26-2008, 03:01 AM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

Where are you located? Maybe someone on here would be willing to take you with them to the track to show you the ropes.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:10 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I suggest starting out in trophy or something similar. You can run anything you have .This will get you used to how the whole thing works, plus you will have a ball.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:04 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

GO to the track and watch..and watch and watch and watch...
then get you a safe S-L-O-W-ER car and take it to the nights were the slower test and tune cars go...and learn all you can about the basic stuff such as..which lanes to stage (fast and slow lanes),how to stage, proper Burn out technique,..basic track manners etc.....i could go on and on

you would be surprised today at the SO-CALLED experienced racer who still cannot execute a proper burnout ( they never pull all the way out of the water before starting their burnout).

there is a lot to learn besides getting in a car and going down the track.

My opinion......take a full season of what i just mentioned, then if you still want to class race,find you a class mentioned above.

then if you really want to feel how this can really get..find you someone experienecd with a SUB 5 second (eighth mile) car with 2 seats and let them take you on the return road just for a warm up...or if track allows..go for a shake down with a hard lauching 60ft..(1.15-1.16)

this will tell you if this sport is for you or not and it will also tell you how fast you want to go...i have seen many long time racers sit their butts in a real fast car and have a change of heart on this sport or at least how fast they want to go....

Big Power has a way of humbling a man/woman.......

start crawling then walk and run...
Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 02-26-2008, 05:06 AM
Greek32
SHOW GUEST

Thanks for replying fellas, I am located in Vegas and will reply more soon here. Have to get the day started right now, but will be back soon. Thanks for the help as I said, all help is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-26-2008, 07:29 AM
tyster
APPRENTICE

Greek as others have stated start out in a street class or trophy. You can start in your daily driver, heck I have several cars and still run my daily driver alot. Run as often as you can, nothing beats SEAT TIME! So if you able to run test-n-tune nights and race nights. Get yourself into a routine at the track and stick to it. If you have no experience with drag racing and are just getting into it (even as a spectator) I would recommend one of the Richardson Bracket Racing DVD's. If you've been around Drag Racing for awhile and are just now getting into driving then save your money and dont buy the DVD. Either way SEAT TIME is the best educator. Once you get comfortable racing, when you get to the Water box, you MUST have the Boxer and Sprinter mentality that NO ONE can beat you!

Have fun and be safe

..............Tyster
Old 02-28-2008, 04:18 PM
TTODD4182
SHOW GUEST

Default WHAYT WAS GOOD FOR ME

I WOULD GO TO GRUDGE NIGHT AT THE LOCAL TRACK AND RACE STREET CARS(1YR. AGO). IM DOING FOOTBRAKE NOW. IT WOULD HELP YOU OUT ALOT IF YOU GO IN THE DRAGPIT AND ASK THE DRIVERS, GOOD DRIVERS HAVE GOOD ATITUDES AND IT SHOULD B VERY INSIGHTFUL.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:10 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I went to the track to watch once and got talked into running my truck in trophy just for the heck of it. It barely got out of it's own way but I had a ball. Put it in overdrive and held her to the floor...AC and Radio going full blast. Went a few rounds too, until I decided to lower the tailgate down and then I broke out...lol

even put a big ol' white stripe on the tire with shoe polish. :P
Old 02-29-2008, 04:47 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
I went to the track to watch once and got talked into running my truck in trophy just for the heck of it. It barely got out of it's own way but I had a ball. Put it in overdrive and held her to the floor...AC and Radio going full blast. Went a few rounds too, until I decided to lower the tailgate down and then I broke out...lol

even put a big ol' white stripe on the tire with shoe polish. :P
how much wheel spin on the tire vs rim to you get ?...lol

your right a bunch of fun

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -