Thread: which tranny??????????

Junior Member APPRENTICE

which tranny??????????

first off - very nice site!! this is my first time posting. my question is : which trans to put in my 1972 camaro drag car? this will be my 1st time racing & i need some input. the car is for drag only, fiberglass front & lexan windows. it has a 5.13 gear with 31-13.0 tires. i will be running a small block 383 with approx. 450 h.p. for now!! i would like to run a glide w/brake but i have a t-350 that was built to hanlde 500 h.p. it is currently in my 1966 big block chevelle, i will be pulling out & installing a 700r4. i will mainly be running the 1/8th but i would also like to run the 1/4 on occasion, any recomendations????????? thanks, brian / illinois

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    The Th350 will do fine for now but your gear may be too much with a 3-speed trans.. The glide would work good with them..

Junior Member SHOW GUEST

What trans.

Run the turbo 350, have some fun, and when you're through playing, put a glide in it and go racin'.

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    thanks for the info! i think i'll just leave the th350 in the chevelle and get a glide for the drag car. if i try to run the 1/4 am i going to run out of top end with these gears?

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    No doubt. For a 1/4 mile car that is ALOT of Gear. JMO

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    run the 700r4 and these gears and it prob. will work. would pull hard all the way thru the 1/4 mile.i'm running 4.86 gears w/ 31-10.50w tires and go thru the traps at 6800. about the same hp w/ th350 in a s10.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE jmarksdragster's Avatar
    A glide is the best for what you want to do, your car will ET well but run out of engine in the 1/4. Depending on weight, a 4.56 + or -.
    Mark Whitener
    http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work can't be good.

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    i,m going to put the glide in it. i will probably be on the 1/8th 90% of the time anyway!! if i try the 1/4 i will probably just change the gears and see what happens. thanks, brian