Horsepower question

Old 02-24-2008, 04:39 PM
bigs1975
CRAFTSMAN

Default Horsepower question

Just curious if someone might have an idea what I'm making.
It's a 482 bbc,14:1,720 solid roller,cnc brodix bb2 plus,victor intake port matched,1050 dominator.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:03 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i would take a stab at 720 to 750 if cam is right.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 02-25-2008, 02:25 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
i would take a stab at 720 to 750 if cam is right.
I agree with Brian on a real #'s dyno that is what I think it'd see also. I've seen some on a good #'s dyno go to 825 with a close setup to yours.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:06 PM
bigs1975
CRAFTSMAN

Thanks guys.I was told this motor made around 720hp.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:21 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

I would have guessed 730-780, depending on duration and lobe sep, if you had a vac pump, etc. I have a nice 468 in the shop right now, 13.5:1, 270 at .050, .714 lift, Victor 4500 with a 1095 King Demon, Mildly ported Canfield 310's, made 735hp and 620 on the tq. Peak Hp at 6800. I would think your 482 based on the parts in it, should make more than that.

Frank
Advanced Performance
www.get-ap.com
Old 02-27-2008, 04:44 PM
bigs1975
CRAFTSMAN

Iwas kind of thinking that a little more cam would up the anty a little.I was thinking a cam around 270-280 @.050 and around 740-760 lift in a 4\7 swap would work good.I'm thinking about calling Bullet Cams or comp to see what they come up with.I don't have specs on this cam other that being told its a 720/680 cam.What do some of you think would be a good 4\7 swap cam?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:39 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

if i were you i would run the motor..i would not take the chance at this point of spending the extra $$$ and hassle of installing...when you are not guaranteed any gain at this point...Your current cam could be a perfect match ??....changing things like this before you try it could backfire big time..plus would all this be worth a 20/30 extra HP if it did work out in your favor ?...you never will see this hp gain on the clock (et)

US racers have the urge to change things to make us go faster before we know how fast we go now....

try it...you can always swap cam later...

My opinion..

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 02-28-2008, 04:33 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
if i were you i would run the motor..i would not take the chance at this point of spending the extra $$$ and hassle of installing...when you are not guaranteed any gain at this point...Your current cam could be a perfect match ??....changing things like this before you try it could backfire big time..plus would all this be worth a 20/30 extra HP if it did work out in your favor ?...you never will see this hp gain on the clock (et)

US racers have the urge to change things to make us go faster before we know how fast we go now....

try it...you can always swap cam later...

My opinion..
I agree....I am more guilty of this than anyone. I just can't leave well enough alone... When I was messing with my chevelle(street car) running trophy. I was about 21-22 yrs old and knew everything.( 33 now and know half what I did then haha) My dad gave me the same advice you just gave him, but I ignored it. I was constantly trying different intakes, carbs etc. Over the span of 2 summers I had 3 different cams, 2 different intakes and 3 different carburators, and 2 torque converters . From the time I took it to the track to when I finally left it alone it had only picked up less than 3 tenths...but I had fooled with so many different things I never knew which ones actually helped it. :?
Old 02-28-2008, 07:35 PM
bigs1975
CRAFTSMAN

I completely understand what ya'll are saying.I didn't plan on making a cam swap just yet.I am just putting it out there to get some opinions from some one that might know better than me.I'm going to run this setup this year and if it is consistant and wins some cash here and there then I'll be satisfied.Thanks for the help guys!
Old 02-29-2008, 04:59 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

what i am about to say is something you may already know,

the motor alone will be far from winning you cash.....it can be dead on, but the driver and chassis may not..or track conditions for that matter

so do not get disapointed or frustrated with the motor and change it up if your rounds are not won as you had planned....

if the motor is making 750 hp OR running the et's and you are not winning start looking else where...

I have learned that the BRACKET stuff is not all about HP.....THATS WHY i do not mess with it....see too many sub 5 second cars outrun by a 1986 Honda civic (stock)...

if i were you i would see setting my eyes on some heads up INDEX stuff ( as seat time allows)..not knowing your car i will guess and say 7.99 class...

at least in my opinion its more like the real drag racing thing from where it began..to where you can go head to head on the tree and run as hard as you can down track...you just can't have too fast of a car IN YOUR MAX ET CLASS...but they go from 7.99,6.99.5.99 index......so for the average guy..they can find themselves a balls to the wall class for what they have somewhere with the 5.99,6.99,7.99 class..
and i personally feel this class would be a cheaper class to run,,cause you would not need all those fancy electronics. Just need a good tranny break and 2 step, OR 4 SPEED....AND GOOD REACTION TIMES

My opinion again.

also In My opinion this is the closest thing to real drag racing without doing the no holds barred heads up...

sorry do not want to offend any die hard bracket racers.....Outside of being boring to watch..i just could never get in my head why brakes would be in the sentenace of drag racing.. :roll:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -