Rep Check - Clifton001

Old 02-23-2008, 09:09 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Default Rep Check - Clifton001

Does this PM from Clifton001 sound fishy to anyone?

"HI AM WRITING TO YOU TO LET YOU KNOW THAT WHILE I WAS SURFING THROUGH THE INTERNET IN SEARCH OF THIS ITEM ...SO I CAME ACROSS YOUR'S FOR SALE SO I WILL LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT THE CONDITION AND I WILL ALSO LIKE TO KNOW THE SELLING PRICE AND IF YOU DON'T MIND SENDING ME THE PICS AND I WILL LIKE YOU TO GET BACK TO ME IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN SELLING TO ME ...COS AM BUYING ASAP.THANKS AND HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU ASAP ON [email protected]."

This was received in response to my ad here: http://www.racingjunk.com/post/11273...llet-Rods.html
Old 02-23-2008, 09:54 AM
knova70
SENIOR BUILDER

If they are serious ask them for there phone #? see if you get it,sounds a little fishy to me,never know?Tell them you want to call them to make arrangements and that you don't make them by messages,you will see if they are for real then?Good luck
Old 02-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

Default Fishy? Like a month old fish it does.

No specific reference to what you are selling is typically a scam. A computer (AutoBot) scanning ads, and sending emails. Could be a dollars scam (trying to grab cash) or information phishing scam.

Not likely this email is legit. Don't reply as even that gives them something.

Later
Old 02-23-2008, 10:18 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Well, this wasn't an e-mail I received. This was a PM from a RJ partitipant (RJ has no means that I can find to search on someone directly).

I replied via the PM system, but I'm not replying via e-mail. If he had enough where with all to use the PM system, he can get responses via it too.

But it's really weird that he's asking about price, which is clearly stated in the ad.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

Sometimes Auto-responders or Autobots have problems picking up certain characters. Have you ever scanned a WORD document and had some of the words go screwy? Same principle. If a person is typing he/she is keyed in on what it is and what it costs, so you would usually see item name and reference to cost.

Weird that it was an internal pm. But I would believe anything these days-They have figured out to attache spyware to a person's myspace pics, and I am just waiting for some creep to find a way to attach spyware to Ebay listing pics-to hack into your account.

I'd walk away from this one.

Later.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:43 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

lol, I linked this thread to a buddy of mine... My buddy replied via e-mail saying nothing but...

SCAM
Old 02-23-2008, 11:29 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

HEAD BEATING TIME :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-23-2008, 01:38 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Might be legit, but I doubt it.

Here's the current correspondance:

"Used, no need for reconditioning. Great shape. Accept US Postal Money Order. Will ship once order is verified and cashed.

On [2008-02-23 16:53:30] clifton001 wrote:
> WELL WHAT I REALLY WANT TO KNOW IS THE PRESENT CONDITION ALSO IF YOU ACCEPT CHECK OK.
>
> On [2008-02-23 13:08:19] OneBadGMC wrote:
> > Clifton;
> >
> > What specifically do you want to know that isn't stated or pictured in the ad?
> >
> > On [2008-02-23 06:18:05] clifton001 wrote:
> > > HI AM WRITING TO YOU TO LET YOU KNOW THAT WHILE I WAS SURFING THROUGH THE INTERNET IN SEARCH OF THIS ITEM ...SO I CAME ACROSS YOUR'S FOR SALE SO I WILL LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT THE CONDITION AND I WILL ALSO LIKE TO KNOW THE SELLING PRICE AND IF YOU DON'T MIND SENDING ME THE PICS AND I WILL LIKE YOU TO GET BACK TO ME IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN SELLING TO ME ...COS AM BUYING ASAP.THANKS AND HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU ASAP ON [email protected]."
Old 02-23-2008, 01:55 PM
10sec340
SHOW GUEST

I got the same responce, then this one.....

HELLO THANKS FOR GETTING BACK TO ME WELL SINCE YOU SAID IT NEW I GUESS THE CONDITION WILL BE PERFECT ......SO I WILL WANT TO TELL YOU THAT I WILL BE PAYING YOU IN FORM OF CHECK SO I WILL NEED THE DETAILS I CAN SEND IT TO SO WHEN IT'S CLEAR I WILL LIKE YOU TO SHIP DOWN THE ITEM.PLS KINDLY SEND YOUR MAILS TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS COS AM MUCH OVER THERE [email protected]
Old 02-23-2008, 02:45 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

And the latest from him (bottom) and my reply (top):

"Checks = Fraud. I accept US Postal Money Order.

On [2008-02-23 17:51:06] clifton001 wrote:
> you mean you don't accept check
> "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -