Torque for aluminum heads

Old 02-19-2008, 05:04 AM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Torque for aluminum heads

Hey guys,

I just got a set of aluminum bowtie heads and need to know the torque specs. Also would it be beneficial to add head studs and coper head gaskets while I have the engine apart. Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old 02-19-2008, 06:30 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I torqued my old big block GM ALUM heads to 75 ftlbs. The new Brodix I just got had a paper with them that said to torque them to 70 ftlbs.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:18 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

What Tod said, but i perfer the copper gaskets because you can use them over and over again, you didn't say if it's s/blk or b/blk. I always stud a s/bk but the last motor i built 476" b/blk 2 milk crate motor we used Felpro and ARP head bolts. Not my choice but the owner did not want to spend the money.

Zip.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:50 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
What Tod said, but i perfer the copper gaskets because you can use them over and over again, you didn't say if it's s/blk or b/blk. I always stud a s/bk but the last motor i built 476" b/blk 2 milk crate motor we used Felpro and ARP head bolts. Not my choice but the owner did not want to spend the money.

Zip.
ZIP when you head stud one do you just finger tight or do you lock a couple nuts together and lightly snug them?
Old 02-20-2008, 05:48 AM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by Tod74

Zip.
ZIP when you head stud one do you just finger tight or do you lock a couple nuts together and lightly snug them?
Its a s/blk. Sorry for not stating it to start with.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:52 AM
dcarr511
JUNIOR BUILDER

Zip.
I'm not Zip .. but you want them to just be snugged up, not tight, ARP comes with the ends broached for an allen wrench.

Studs are great when on a Dragster ... but try taking a cyl. head off of the engine in most any door car. no fun at all. I'm ' returning " to bolts in my cars ....
Old 02-20-2008, 03:56 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Cris- Duane brought up a good point about taking off the heads while in the door car with head studs..it could be a challange..to the point of having to yank out motor or at least pull forward..

if ya wanting the extra sealing power around the cylinder then i would check into the FEL-PRO MLS head gasket's..about $200 for the set and use head bolts the closest thing to o-ringing a block without doing it.

( i have a little un-fair advantage of your situation then most people cause the motor use to be mine)

so i know your motor pretty good LOL...unless your gonna spray the thing or convert it to a blower motor and pack the cylinders i would not sweat the head studs etc....the copper gaskets are great as zip said for re-use but my opinion on this is Copper head gaskets are a great match for a o-ringed block,head studs and of course a good dose of Hylomar..
can you use one without the other...YES!...but its like swimming with your clothes on...lol :roll:

the motor has ran for 8 years with Regular Fel-pro head gaskets and head bolts at 13 to 1 compression..

just my take on it.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 02-20-2008, 06:01 PM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by bjuice
Cris- Duane brought up a good point about taking off the heads while in the door car with head studs..it could be a challange..to the point of having to yank out motor or at least pull forward..

if ya wanting the extra sealing power around the cylinder then i would check into the FEL-PRO MLS head gasket's..about $200 for the set and use head bolts the closest thing to o-ringing a block without doing it.

( i have a little un-fair advantage of your situation then most people cause the motor use to be mine)

so i know your motor pretty good LOL...unless your gonna spray the thing or convert it to a blower motor and pack the cylinders i would not sweat the head studs etc....the copper gaskets are great as zip said for re-use but my opinion on this is Copper head gaskets are a great match for a o-ringed block,head studs and of course a good dose of Hylomar..
can you use one without the other...YES!...but its like swimming with your clothes on...lol :roll:

the motor has ran for 8 years with Regular Fel-pro head gaskets and head bolts at 13 to 1 compression..

just my take on it.

Brian
Gottcha Brian, I am going to use Fel Pro with head bolts. I can't wait to hear that thing purrrr again.

Chris
Old 02-20-2008, 09:53 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Zip.
When i head stud one i put the head on with the gaskets in place, i then screw the studs in with blue lock tight until i have 3/16" above the lock nut with washer. I then remove the head and apply some sealer around the water openings on the gasket and re-assembly the heads and torque them in stages of 20lbs until i am at their required torque specs. I also retorque the heads after they have been fired up and allowed to run too temperature. It's been a long time since i have lost a gasket seal, with gas,alcohol, or blown alcohol. I know it's extra time, but it's cheaper than replacing and a lot of comfort when you need to make the next round.

JMO

Zip.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:13 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Torque 65 ft lbs to a max of 70 ft lbs. Head studs or bolts too tight will do more harm than good.

Small head 6 point ARP Bolts with washers. Head gasket of your choice.

For those who asked;
You do not want a stud installed in a block tight. I usually screw down by hand and back off by 1/4 turn and use a copper base anti-sieze on the threads lightly.

Ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -