General Discusion about rebuilding my `70 Camaro

Old 02-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Hemispheres11
SHOW GUEST

Default General Discusion about rebuilding my `70 Camaro

I own a `70 Camaro w/ a 350 .30 over , 750 holley double pumper, edelb. victor jr. manifold. & crane .615 lift solid lifter cam. I want to calm the car down & turn it into a daily cruiser. I have been out of the racing circuit since 1988 and I dont know what products are of good quality & what products will work well together. I also need a tranny & i was going to go w/ a richmond gear 5-speedthats is good for 400 HP.Than my buddy told me to get the tranny the 600 HP richmond gear 5-speed. Than another buddy told me to get the tremec 5-speed.I never heard of tremec before & I am so confused & dont know which way to turn. should I make the motor a roller motor or not ,how big of a carb ,what mani.& which tranny for that matter. I need some advise. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:23 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

WHat tranny do you have now?
Old 02-20-2008, 02:36 PM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Re: General Discusion about rebuilding my `70 Camaro

Originally Posted by Hemispheres11
I own a `70 Camaro w/ a 350 .30 over , 750 holley double pumper, edelb. victor jr. manifold. & crane .615 lift solid lifter cam. I want to calm the car down & turn it into a daily cruiser. I have been out of the racing circuit since 1988 and I dont know what products are of good quality & what products will work well together. I also need a tranny & i was going to go w/ a richmond gear 5-speedthats is good for 400 HP.Than my buddy told me to get the tranny the 600 HP richmond gear 5-speed. Than another buddy told me to get the tremec 5-speed.I never heard of tremec before & I am so confused & dont know which way to turn. should I make the motor a roller motor or not ,how big of a carb ,what mani.& which tranny for that matter. I need some advise. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Sounds like you want to run a stick shift. If you want to strickly race the Camaro and run a stick, my sugestion would be go with a Jerico 4 speed or a Liberty 5speed. You can run a Doug Nash 5 speed but if you plan on going 10's or quicker it may not last. If you want to have a fast street car a doug nash street tranny will work fine on the street. You know alot of things depend on race car or street car. There is a big difference I think. Plus running a stick in a race car can get very expensive.

As far as motors, again street or strip? One more thing. Budget will mean everything when building a street or strip car too. I guess what I'm saying is I would need more information on what your gunna do with the car and how much money do you have to spend on the Camaro. Hope this helps ya. Let us know more info and I'll try to give you my opnion on what direction to go.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:51 PM
insane4fbodys
SENIOR BUILDER

OK, what I'm getting is you have a somewhat race car your wanting to detune for street mainly. If this is true, and depending on your budget. For street use I like the TKO 600, but thats my preference. Any of the trannies mention are good products though. As far as motor, if your running a solid over .600 lift I would drop it a little and go with a roller. I have always ran open plane intakes and atleast 750 cfm's with mechanical sec.. 1 thing you didn't mention for the most help is what RPM range you want to run and gear ratio you have.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:02 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Both guys above gave you good advise....i agree with Vince more information is needed..
but i will say that if your wanting a lot of street use a HYDRAULIC ROLLER would be the route i would go on the cam situation.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "