Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've finally gone bigblock

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR

I've finally gone bigblock

I've always been a small block guy in race cars, but had the chance to buy a BBC and couldn't pass it up. It's a ReherMorrison 522 that I've installed in my Vette roadster. Any thoughts on what thr car will weigh and what it run in th 1/4? With a SBC it weighed 2015lbs with me in it.
    It's a 63 Vette roadster, 4.30 gear, PG with a 1.80 low gear, 33x16 Goodyears, and the 522 that dynoed at 839 hp at 7000rpm.
    Fired it up for the first time tonight and it sure sounds & smells great!
    Let me know what you think and, thanks....

I failed to mention that I usually run at high altitude tracks like Denver or Salt Lake City. I'm planning on running in SG at the divisional in Tucson in a few weeks, but that'll be the lowest elevation this year...

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    I did not post this and I was not drunk tom????

they still make small blocks?.....LOL....

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    hey fishslayer, that hotrod is smiling on the after picture :lol:

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Re: I've finally gone bigblock

Quote Originally Posted by johnracer
    I've always been a small block guy in race cars, but had the chance to buy a BBC and couldn't pass it up. It's a ReherMorrison 522 that I've installed in my Vette roadster. Any thoughts on what thr car will weigh and what it run in th 1/4? With a SBC it weighed 2015lbs with me in it.
    It's a 63 Vette roadster, 4.30 gear, PG with a 1.80 low gear, 33x16 Goodyears, and the 522 that dynoed at 839 hp at 7000rpm.
    Fired it up for the first time tonight and it sure sounds & smells great!
    Let me know what you think and, thanks....
    I think you have to weigh a min of 2350lbs, for super gas, so you may have to add weight.
    Even though Tucson is factored for elevation, how you gonna slow it down to 9.90 plus factoring.
    The car could run on sea level.

Your ET / MPH computed from your vehicle weight of 2350 pounds and HP of 839 is 8.21 seconds and MPH of 163.17 MPH.

Zip.

Minimum weight for Supergas is 2100lbs, so I should be fine. I figure it'll weigh about 2200 with the big block. I have a co2 throttle stop to slow it down. I was just wondering what everyone thought it would run with the bbc. Thanks...

Just got back from Tucson. The Vette weighs 2155 lbs full of fuel & me. I only made one full throttle pass then put it on the stop. Ran 8.44 @ 160.19. The corrected altitude was about 4100 ft.
    Anybody out there run on a 4 tenths pro tree? I can't seem to get any better than a .030 light. I had the same issues with the small block and hoped the big block would take care of it but it didn't. It just rolls out of the beams with very little front end lift. Any suggestions?

Turn the launch RPM up.

Steve

I turned it up as far as I could. The convertor stalls at 6100 and I launched at 6000. I tried pumping up the front tires to 45 psi and the slicks to 6.5. I even changed the 4-link to a longer instant center. I'm pretty sure I needed to go lower with the IC, but I don't know for sure.