Running hot, (help)

Old 02-11-2008, 09:37 AM
chancey
SHOW GUEST

Default Running hot, (help)

Perhaps some of you guys could help me out here. I'm running a 67 camaro, 383 SBC. TH 350 bla bla bla. Anyway, I've got a new proform electric pump, and a new griffin radiator with a 12" electric fan, but the engine is still getting up to 250 at the end of the Quarter. I"ve recently put a flow restrictor in the therm housing, brought it to 240, so I've cut some of the fiberglass in the front of the car to get more air, and still nothing. I"m running a 38 deg total timing, and i'm thinking about dropping that a little, and possibly put the fan on the motor side of the radiator.
Any suggestions????
Chancey
Old 02-11-2008, 10:01 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

DO YOU HAVE A SHROUD FROM THE RADIATOR TO THE NOSE OF THE CAMARO? IF THE AIR ISN'T GETTING THERE IT CAN'T COOL----ARE YOU SURE THE PUMP IS TURNING ALL THE TIME?AND AS DUMB AS IT SOUNDS MAKE SURE THE FAN IS BLOWING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION[ I JUST SAW THAT PROBLEM LAST WEEK ON A HOT ROD]---DON'T GIVE UP :wink: :wink: :wink: ---LIVELY
Old 02-11-2008, 10:17 AM
chancey
SHOW GUEST

No shroud on the front, I've checked the rotation on the fan, it's pulling for sure. I've also checked that the pump is working properly, and it is. I can't decide if its' timing or just moving the water too fast. I"ve got one more restrictor to try and move the fan to the back, (thinking that I may be obstructing some airflow right now) and i'll head back to the track an see how she goes.
thanks for the input, it's well appreciated.
chancey
Old 02-11-2008, 10:27 AM
v8Fiero
MASTER BUILDER

I would try messing around with the timing a little bit. Im not sure how you set the timing before but next time your at the track back it down to 34 or so degrees then go up 1degree every run until you get the fastest trap MPH (not et) and you have your timing set at the engines best spot and you can go onto tuning the carb after that. you might be a couple degrees to much for your engine combination.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:31 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

CHANCEY----IF THE FAN IS "PULLING" THRU THE RADIATOR AND IS MOUNTED ON THE FRONT SIDE[NOT THE ENGINE SIDE ] THEN IT IS WRONG---IT SHOULD BLOW THRU THE RADIATOR IF IT SITS IN FRONT---MAYBE I READ YOUR STATEMENT WRONG JUST NOW BUT??????---LIVELY
Old 02-11-2008, 10:56 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Where is the high point in your cooling system? If the water outlet on the intake is higher than the radiator cap, you may not be able to completely fill it....
Old 02-11-2008, 12:50 PM
zerotolerance
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

i ran a 383 chevy, mezieri eletric water pump and griffin radiator. i had the same problem ended up being i was moving the water too fast. i actually put a restrictor in the lower radiator hose i soldered a couple of copper fittings together i pushed i into the hose and clamped it from the outside. car rans at 180 now.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:18 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Running hot

You might want to check your spark plugs to see if you are running lean, that will cause heating problems also.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:56 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

I can remember on our sbc that during a run the fan was off. Just the waterpump. At the shutdown the fan would be turned on. The car never got over 190 degrees on a hot day. You could be moving water too fast, but, as dumb of a question as this might be.... have you checked to see if you have a gasket issue? If you sucked an intake you are leaning your car way out and would get the temps you are seeing. Just a thought.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:27 AM
sg1586
MASTER BUILDER

Fan on the engine side and pulling air threw the rad is always better..IMO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -