condensation on valve train

Old 02-03-2008, 05:48 AM
deepockets
CRAFTSMAN

Default condensation on valve train

i was doing a valve adjust last night and noticed condensation on the valve train. there was actually two drips on one of the t&d rockers. is this normal when a engine has not been run in two months and several rain storms. the car is garaged. what measure can i take to stop that? now it's got my concern on the spare motor. should i put those little bags under the valve covers that absorb moisture?
Old 02-03-2008, 06:10 AM
sc4405
JUNIOR BUILDER

Yep it's normal I would say. Don't really know what you could do to stop it, but I think it the motor were ran up to 190* or so before shutting off to store it would boil away any condensed water that was in there. Warm garages and high humidity create this sort of thing. Don't think the dessicant bags are going to help, that water isn't just on the valvetrain it's pretty much all through the motor. Very dry here in the desert, maybe other guys on here can offer better advice. :? 8) JB
Old 02-03-2008, 07:37 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Vaccum pump will fix it, but its pretty common.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:53 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

don't worry about it..we all have this problem..some just more than others ..depending where you live and what fuel you run,vaccum pumps are good for draining out moisture while engine is running...IT WILL NOT help with the problem you have with condensation occuring while a motor sits for a few months...

but its normal.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 02-03-2008, 10:01 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Yes it's normal, especially if the humidity's high. Try warming it up, shut it off and pull the breathers out of the valve covers to let it breath while it cools. Don't cool it, just let it cool on it's own....