looking to buy a 98 chevy truck with a diesel.is it junk

Old 01-30-2008, 07:01 PM
bigray
DYNO OPERATOR

Default looking to buy a 98 chevy truck with a diesel.is it junk

we are looking to buy a 98 chevy truck with a diesel motor with 140000 miles,just asking if these motors are as bad as the old ones were.i dont know what year they started betting better or if they ever did.just dont want to buy one that wont hold up,thanks for the reply's..
Old 08-05-2008, 05:12 PM
promodjohn
APPRENTICE

Default Re: looking to buy a 98 chevy truck with a diesel.is it junk

Originally Posted by bigray
we are looking to buy a 98 chevy truck with a diesel motor with 140000 miles,just asking if these motors are as bad as the old ones were.i dont know what year they started betting better or if they ever did.just dont want to buy one that wont hold up,thanks for the reply's..
I don't know what year GM started putting the duramax diesel in there trucks but if it does not have the duramax DON'T BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The diesel engines GM put in there trucks prior to the duramax were absolute junk,I think they were some sort of converted small block gas engine.real garbage
Old 08-08-2008, 04:05 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

I have owned both. The earlier 6.5 turbo was a gutless wonder if you are towing. I now have a 2003 Chevy with a Dura Max pulling the same trailer, gross weight over 10,000 lbs. Pulls great. Wouldn't have anything else.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:18 PM
bigchev420
SHOW GUEST

Best buy would be any dodge cummins.