INFORMATION ON BIG BLOCK CHEVY OIL PUMPS

Old 01-29-2008, 03:28 PM
lmchevy
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default INFORMATION ON BIG BLOCK CHEVY OIL PUMPS

I was wondering if the Moroso blueprinted oil pump #22162 has more clearance (crank and rod to oil pump) than the stock Melling # M77HV for 4.750 stroke chevy big blocks.I know about all the better oil pumps and am just wanting to know between these two in particular.I have heard that sometimes on the M77HV that you may have to grind on it to gain clearance but what about the Moroso pump.Thanks
Old 01-30-2008, 08:42 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: INFORMATION ON BIG BLOCK CHEVY OIL PUMPS

Originally Posted by lmchevy
I was wondering if the Moroso blueprinted oil pump #22162 has more clearance (crank and rod to oil pump) than the stock Melling # M77HV for 4.750 stroke chevy big blocks.I know about all the better oil pumps and am just wanting to know between these two in particular.I have heard that sometimes on the M77HV that you may have to grind on it to gain clearance but what about the Moroso pump.Thanks
Wouldn't a call to Moroso or Melling be a better choice?
Old 01-30-2008, 03:51 PM
lmchevy
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default oil pump

I called Moroso and Melling and it didn't seem to register to them what i was talking about.Besides a company is not going to have their smartest and highest paid people answering the phones.I am looking for someone who has had these two pumps side by side and can tell me if there is a difference.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:37 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Wish I could help ya...

I had the Moroso pump, and it worked just fine with a 4.25" stroke.

In fact, I still have it. If you want to pay shipping on it, you're welcome to it. It's broken in 1/2 on the neck. Next stop for it when it comes time will be into the trash can.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:17 PM
lmchevy
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default oil pump

I appreciate it but i will find out sometime it's not that big of a deal just would like to know.Don't throw the pump in the trash wait and get a little load of scrap and get a few dollars.