VERY POOR experience with Cornstalk Chris, aka "yellowe

Old 01-28-2008, 09:15 PM
MonteBusa
SHOW GUEST

Default VERY POOR experience with Cornstalk Chris, aka "yellowe

What follows is my recent very poor experience with Chris from Cornstalk Racing, aka "yellowear" on this site.

I recently purchased a trailer from him for my SCCA racer - after a few phone conversations, a bunch of e-mails, and Chris offering to install and installing at a good price electric brakes - sounds good so far, right?

Well, I paid for a trailer that had a 12ft bed, not the 10ft bed that the trailer I drove 70 miles home had. Shame on me for not bringing a tape measure to where we exchanged the money for the trailer and check his dimensions, but come on, 2 ft short on the bed measurement Chris????

I told him my car length when we started talking initially, and just before I went to pick it up again, to which he said "should be fine" (sounds fishy now, right??). Well, Chris, buddy - my car is still 10ft 6in, no matter how many times I measure it.

Chris claims it was a "measurement mistake" and gaive me some unacceptable ideas about chopping up the trailer tool box to make it work, parking the car on the trailer backwards, but NEVER ONCE offered a real solution to my problem - the fact that I paid for a 12ft trailer that would have fit my car great, but ended up with one that has the car hanging off the back at least 6 inches!!!

It's now going to cost me TIME AND MONEY to try to make work - something he seems to not be able to relate to, stating "do you want a discount or a solution to your problem", when asked for a little help to offset the time and money it will take to try to make the trailer work. I want to try to make it work, and never once suggested he take the trailer back - what Chris wanted was my money, plain and simple.

Well, I guess it IS my problem because I trusted that his tape measure worked just like everyone else's, right?

Buyer beware when it comes to this guy, and don't expect much after-sales support or ethics if my experience with him is any gauge.

Oh, and when I stated to him I was going to post my experience on this site he said "no problem".....as a guy who runs a race shop, I' would have thought you'd care more about your reputation Chris!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:15 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Again another case of a buyer not looking over what he got. Is he a jerkoff for not being truthful. But you not measuring like you said is your own fault.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:52 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

I DON'T UNDERSTAND :shock: :shock: YOU STILL TOOK IT AFTER YOU MEASURED IT YOURSELF?????!!!!!!!!--IF SO ops: -GET OVER IT / IT IS YOUR FAULT FOR ACCEPTING IT :cry: :cry: IF YOU ALREADY PAID FOR IT BEFORE SEEING IT YOU SHOULDN'T BE GRIPING---SORRY, BUT WE SEE LOTS OF THIS LATELY---PAY ATTENTION/ CHECK THE PRODUCT BEFORE YOU TAKE IT/ BE VERY CAREFUL/ LISTEN FOR VAGUE STATEMENTS---LIVELY
Old 01-28-2008, 11:25 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by lively
I DON'T UNDERSTAND :shock: :shock: YOU STILL TOOK IT AFTER YOU MEASURED IT YOURSELF?????!!!!!!!!--IF SO ops: -GET OVER IT / IT IS YOUR FAULT FOR ACCEPTING IT :cry: :cry: IF YOU ALREADY PAID FOR IT BEFORE SEEING IT YOU SHOULDN'T BE GRIPING---SORRY, BUT WE SEE LOTS OF THIS LATELY---PAY ATTENTION/ CHECK THE PRODUCT BEFORE YOU TAKE IT/ BE VERY CAREFUL/ LISTEN FOR VAGUE STATEMENTS---LIVELY
He didn't say he measured it, he said he didn't bring a tape measure. Being a carpenter you can see the difference between 10 and 12 ft. being a machinest i can see the difference between 1/8 of an inch and 3/16 of an inch. but not everyone is like you or i.
Bottom line he got ripped, but should have caught it.

JMO

Zip.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:46 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

A 12 ft trailer....wow. Mine is 16 ft with a 30 inch dovetail and there isn't really any extra room. 10 ft must be super cramped.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:50 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

ZIP---THE WAY IT SOUNDED WAS THAT HE NOTICED IT WHEN HE GOT THERE AND THEN THE MAN STARTED EXPLAINING HOW HE COULD CHANGE THE TOOL BOX TO MAKE IT WORK!!!---THE THING IS IF THE LENGTH WAS THAT CRITICAL :x THEN HE SHOULD HAVE REFUSED THE DEAL AND LEFT[ HE WOULDN'T BE IN THE SPOT HE IS NOW]---SORRY BUT LIKE HE SAID -------[It's now going to cost me TIME AND MONEY to try to make work - something he seems to not be able to relate to, stating "do you want a discount or a solution to your problem", when asked for a little help to offset the time and money it will take to try to make the trailer work. I want to try to make it work, and never once suggested he take the trailer back - what Chris wanted was my money, plain and simple.

Well, I guess it IS my problem because I trusted that his tape measure worked just like everyone else's, right? ]

LIVELY IN ILLINOIS
Old 01-29-2008, 06:57 AM
MonteBusa
SHOW GUEST

To clarify:

1.) Upon initially contacting Chris I asked how long the trailer bed was. He reported back his "detailed measurememts" stating the bed length was 12ft - tight, but long enough for a 10ft 6in SCCA Sports Racer

2.) The morning I drove the 70miles to pick up the trailer (him having to drive across the Canadian border and another 30 miles appx) he asked "how long is your car again". I told him, and he said "yup, that'll work" (sounds fishy now, huh?)

3.) I only noticed the bed length when I got home - shame on me, last time I trust that a guy who runs a chassis fabrication business to measure something to within 2ft.

4.) After I told him of his mistake he started offering his "chop it up to make it work" suggestions - never once offering a proper solution or compromise - actually getting annoyed when I suggested that this would cost me money and time to TRY to fix HIS mistake.

Maybe I should ask him to drive to pick up the trailer and sweat it out trying to explain to Canadian Customs how he somehow "left his trailer in the States" for two weeks - waddya think?

So if you want a chassis built to +/-2ft accuracy, or if you want someone who cares more about taking your money from you than his credibility or ethics, call Chris at Cornstalk Racing, otherwise STEER CLEAR.

BUYER BEWARE.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:19 AM
Gimmethakick
SENIOR BUILDER

Not trying to bust on anybody but if you can't notice 2' difference then thats your fault. Also if length is a critical element to the purchase then always bring a ruler.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:44 AM
MonteBusa
SHOW GUEST

I may be cockeyed, he's still dishonest and unethical

Originally Posted by Gimmethakick
Not trying to bust on anybody but if you can't notice 2' difference then thats your fault. Also if length is a critical element to the purchase then always bring a ruler.