Mixing gas and Alcohol

Old 01-28-2008, 04:01 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Mixing gas and Alcohol

Has anyone tried or done this? There was a post in another section by a person who said he was running 50% pump gas and 50% Alcohol, i ask what did he use to make it mix, but he never responded. I've heard that lemon oil will mix the 2, but don't know for sure. Any ideas on that or what does make it mix.

Zip.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:43 PM
et7333
EXPERT BUILDER

Zip I bracket race my camaro and run it on 100 percent alky,well one weekend race gas was used,by mistake,to top 2 gallon cell off after a run.I made a pass and it slowed down 3 tenths.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:32 AM
gasalley
CRAFTSMAN

Default Re: Mixing gas and Alcohol

Originally Posted by zipper06
Has anyone tried or done this? There was a post in another section by a person who said he was running 50% pump gas and 50% Alcohol, i ask what did he use to make it mix, but he never responded. I've heard that lemon oil will mix the 2, but don't know for sure. Any ideas on that or what does make it mix.

Zip.
first let me ask, do you mean ethanol alcohol or methanol? Gas & ethanol alcohol mix fairly easily.You can buy E85 straight from the pump here in the midwest. That's 85% ethanol alcohol & 15% gasoline which is 105 octane. Runs well with the right carb or EFI system.
Methanol is a little more tricky, don't know anyone who has done it with good results.
Hope this helps!
Old 01-31-2008, 11:45 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I am speaking of Methanol, that is what one racer said he was mixing on the other post on RJ. I know it requires a mixer, but what is that mixer.

ET7333, that was exactly what i was talking about, it probably wouldn't have slowed down that much if you would have ran straight gas, with the proper jetting.
What i'm asking about is adding a little punch to a carberated steet car, without nitrous. i know they sell a nitromethane mixer up to 25% with gas with proper jetting. It's called nitropropane.

Zip.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:51 PM
dcarr511
JUNIOR BUILDER

A couple of years ago I asked a friend about mixing Gasoline with Methanol and was told you couldnt do it.

Mixing Nitromethane with Gasoline requires Benzine I think it is .. and makes for a very unstable mixture if allowed to sit for short bit. There was a Drag Racing Team in So. Cal. that was called " The Surfers " and they were very well known for mixing Gas and Nitromethane. Heard from a couple of guys that they would mix the two in the staging lanes right before a pass.

Just passing along some useless trivia ..............
Old 02-03-2008, 07:42 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaa
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by zipper06
I am speaking of Methanol, that is what one racer said he was mixing on the other post on RJ. I know it requires a mixer, but what is that mixer.

ET7333, that was exactly what i was talking about, it probably wouldn't have slowed down that much if you would have ran straight gas, with the proper jetting.
What i'm asking about is adding a little punch to a carberated steet car, without nitrous. i know they sell a nitromethane mixer up to 25% with gas with proper jetting. It's called nitropropane.

Zip.

dont do that....it will ruin the rings
Old 02-11-2008, 09:41 AM
aaaaaaaaaaaaa
MASTER BUILDER

another thing is alcohol needs bigger jets/nozzles to make a car run.....it takes more of it.....

example......an 1/8 mile pass on gas would take about a 3/4 - 1 gallon....and my alcohol dragster takes somewhere close to 2 gallons bcuz its squirting more in the motor at a time
Old 02-12-2008, 05:36 AM
pro70mav
SHOW GUEST

Acetone will make the two blend(gasahol)
Old 02-14-2008, 10:41 AM
tireburner
APPRENTICE

I run alcohol carb and a Big Shot plate. Now I use racing gas in a seperate fuel cell for the Nitrous. I was told by NOS and Nitrous Works techs to do it that way. You can run a bigger hit of nitrous and still be safe.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:48 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by turbomord
I run alcohol carb and a Big Shot plate. Now I use racing gas in a seperate fuel cell for the Nitrous. I was told by NOS and Nitrous Works techs to do it that way. You can run a bigger hit of nitrous and still be safe.
I know people who run stacks injection on alcohol, and use nitrous with a seperate small gas tank to shoot thru the nitrous nozzles, they pick up a bunch.
Someone mentioned earlier that acetone mixes the two, i do know that acetone mixes nitro and gas, but it's pretty volitable.

Zip.