Prefered Shifter for a PG in a door car.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:01 AM
boss302racer
SHOW GUEST

Default Prefered Shifter for a PG in a door car.

I was wondering what the best shifter used for a PG in a door car. I have a Hurst Quarter stick and I find it cumbersome to use and want to change it. Just wondering what is everyone's preference.
Thanks
:roll:
Old 01-25-2008, 10:13 AM
performanceengin
JUNIOR BUILDER

i'm partial to bxm pro bandit with air shift. had 1 in my vega, 69 camaro , and 23 t altered
Old 01-25-2008, 06:51 PM
tkilby
APPRENTICE

Default Powerglide Shifter

I personally like the Turbo Action Cheetah shifter. It is simple, smooth and precise good quality piece.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:03 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

I have a Hurst Qtr stick in my 67 camaro and find it very user friendly ?
the only extra step process is the reverse lock out...and you want a shifter that you have do do a little something extra or place some thought before going into reverse..but as far as leaving the line from low to high..its as quick as anything you will find..and i manually shift it..also had one with Electric shift..

i also have the B&M Pro-bandit in my vette and had one in my old 65 nova..BEWARE on this shifter..its made for a rear end dragster with the rear exit cable..you can use them on a door car but you will have to replace the tranny shifter arm or modify yours where the cable will hook at the top of the lever..remember its a rear exit shifter and works opposite of the front entry shifter....they do not even advertise this in the books when you buy it either..i learned the hard way on this shifter

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 01-26-2008, 07:17 PM
sc3314
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Turbo Action

I have run the Turbo Actions with P/G and Turbo applications with no problem at all. They offer different gates you can switch from P/G to Turbo.

If you are using an air shifter, they work very well once you get them set up. Start at 85 psi If you have room spend the extra cash for the 2.5# bottle.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:29 PM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

I like the b&m quicksilver.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:31 AM
gnsrule
SENIOR BUILDER

I run a 1/4 stick w/ electric shift. No problems here except for burning out the electric coil once in a while but thats not the shifters fault. If I had to change it would probably be to a Cheeta. Ive heard nothing but good things about them.
Good luck
Craig
Old 01-28-2008, 12:21 PM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

I like the Turbo Action Cheetah shifter as well. This is the only shifter I have ever ran and have had no problems from them.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:20 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I have the quarter stick in my 69 camaro and in the 71 nova with no issues, both have electric shiftnoids.
I've also run the B&M quicksilver which I liked too, however I prefer the reverse lock out better on the quarter stick. Both shifters are simple designs that have been around for along time and are very cost effective.
There are some very exotic shifters on the market today and some costing big bucks, I'd try to get used to that quarter stick you already have and after time I'm sure you will agree that you'd be hard pressed to find a better more reliable shifter than the tried and true design of the Hurst quarter stick, JMO.

><Cp
Old 02-04-2008, 09:07 PM
thetanman101
JUNIOR BUILDER

Love my B&M Quarterstick!