Bolt on disc brakes

Old 01-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default Bolt on disc brakes

Anyone ever use one of those bolt on disc brake kits? I have a 70 nova that has drum brakes on the front and was wanting to switch it over. Car weighs 2820 without my big butt in it ...with me it weighs 3050 or a little less...depending on how many hot dogs I had that day.

Does anyone know of a kit that will work with the drum brake spindles?
I was thinking of using the Aerospace kit or the Wilwood. What other mods are needed as far as the master cylinder and proportioning valve etc?
Old 01-22-2008, 05:45 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Tod i am 100% certain aerospace makes a kit for rear drum brake conversions..i know i placed a set of them on my 65 nova with a dana 60 with drums...

i am not 100% sure...but i am almost sure that the spindle situation on the front you will need to change..i had a 69 camaro street car i had to change out 4 or 5 years ago..

Also beware that when you get the spindle set up right and place on the front disc brakes...your GONNA have to go with a Disc to Drum portional valve set up...i made the mistake thinking i could just bolt on front disc brakes to replace my drums and left the proportional valve alone and my rear brakes locked up in no time..

if you want to stay with your stock brake booster..i ordered a brake booster with a built in disc to drum proportional valve from a company out in California...if your interested i can try to run down this companys infor for you..they sell it all ( brake set up kits) for 55,57 chevys, 1st generation camaro's and nova's..

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 01-23-2008, 12:28 AM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

US Brakes makes a kit that will use the drum spindle.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:38 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
Tod i am 100% certain aerospace makes a kit for rear drum brake conversions..i know i placed a set of them on my 65 nova with a dana 60 with drums...

i am not 100% sure...but i am almost sure that the spindle situation on the front you will need to change..i had a 69 camaro street car i had to change out 4 or 5 years ago..

Also beware that when you get the spindle set up right and place on the front disc brakes...your GONNA have to go with a Disc to Drum portional valve set up...i made the mistake thinking i could just bolt on front disc brakes to replace my drums and left the proportional valve alone and my rear brakes locked up in no time..

if you want to stay with your stock brake booster..i ordered a brake booster with a built in disc to drum proportional valve from a company out in California...if your interested i can try to run down this companys infor for you..they sell it all ( brake set up kits) for 55,57 chevys, 1st generation camaro's and nova's..

Brian
I was pretty sure the proportioning valve would need changed..but not certain. It doesn't have power brakes just manual drums. Just a bracket car no street use. I will probably get a kit from either wilwood or aerospace and switch spindles if I need to..will check with US Brakes also.Someone told me all those kits in jegs would work with the drum spindles but they don't say that....that why I asked.

Thanks guys
Old 01-23-2008, 02:51 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

This Nova site list a complete change over for $525.00 plus S/H.

http://www.nnnova.com/article_info.php?articles_id=13

Zip.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:15 AM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Now ya'll need to hunt me down the same thing for a '48 Oldsmobile.LOL LOL :lol: