Is it a problem if a drag car is not titled?

Old 01-22-2008, 09:41 AM
Jesusfreak07
SHOW GUEST

Default Is it a problem if a drag car is not titled?

Let me first say that I am not a drag racer. I am in Texas and have a non street car that is not titled, and want to know if this is common? I am trying to sell or trade it, and one person told me it was no big deal since the car wasn't being run on the street. Another told me it was a problem. Which is it :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Old 01-22-2008, 12:30 PM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

don't know about other states BUT IN NV. it is illeagal to own a car without title for it..the junk yards are not even allowed to take a car with-out title.
what year-make-model is the car?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:48 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

A drag car needs no title, only thing you need a title for is to make a street car.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:00 PM
rsrsfishslayers
MASTER BUILDER

If you only run it at the track and trailer it there and back you have no problem I just traded my $20k vega and it had not title I dont think the guy even asked. So if you dont take it out on the streets you will be ok just give them a bill of sale.
CPT.RON :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Old 01-22-2008, 05:22 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

something nobody has mentoned here...you basically got two kinds of Drag cars.

#1- the once factory manufactured car,with Vin ana title that was once sold off the show room floor...and some point in its life it made it to a drag car.

#2- you have the custom built Tommy Mauney, Vanishing point,Hass,Bickle, Ed Horton,MCRACECARS....and many more custom chassis builders that will build a CM or MS car from scratch on a Jig with after market bodies ( rails included)....these cars do not come with titles...

I have one of these cars 63 vette,,Suncoast built chassis with Hairy Glass mounted Body...No title on this car either..just a Notartized "Bill of Sale".

Now i will say in the state of S.C. You can apply for a "VIN" # after filling out a form entitled "KIT CAR" or Home Built"...basically you submit all the reciepts you have with the kit car application to the SCDMV...they will send out a field agent to verify the car exisist and issue you a VIN Plate which must be attached to the car "they give you directions where to mount plate"...then from there you can get the car titled..i would think other states would have something simliar to this type of procedure...

i have had no reason to get it titled at this point..but i will have it done before i try to think about selling it..buyers would have a more at ease feeling about this type of ownership paper trail..specially when the larger amount of money is involved.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 01-22-2008, 10:46 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

My Nova has no title. I was worried about it at first but took the vin to the sherriff deputy( high school friend) and had him run it to make sure it wasn't stolen or something...didn't want to be at the track and have someone say "That's my car!!"
Old 01-24-2008, 07:32 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Is it a problem if a drag car is not titled?

Originally Posted by Jesusfreak07
Let me first say that I am not a drag racer. I am in Texas and have a non street car that is not titled, and want to know if this is common? I am trying to sell or trade it, and one person told me it was no big deal since the car wasn't being run on the street. Another told me it was a problem. Which is it :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Don't know if this helps, but i bought an Anglia in Tx. i'm from Louisanna, and this is what the seller did for me. It was a 1948 model car and had no title. It also had a different number on the chassis than on the firewall (vin #'s)(chassis #'s shows 1948, firewall shows1956) We got a notorized bill of sale from the state and county (same paper) they also gave me a blank vin plate in case i wanted to use the chassis # to register the car for a title in my state. Maybe i went to extremes on this purchase for documentation, but the car can now be registered anywhere in the US.

Zip.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:25 AM
Scotty2
SENIOR BUILDER

My car is a body in white ....never had a tag # on itbut I did make one up for it.One is on the fire wall and the other is in a spot I only know of hehehehe. Here in Canada it's not needed to sell it as a race car.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:09 AM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

another thing that hasn't came up is resale of car..my state doesn't honor bill-of-sales at all.the car has to have a title or you can't own it.

what i'm getting to here is..if for say you wanted to sell car to someone in nv.first thing they will ask is if it has a title or not?if no title then they won't most likely buy it..

i had a drag car for sale years back and i estimate 8 out of 10 would be buyers didn't buy due to no title.now for for a long time there has been a lot of drag cars sold to buyers that intead on putting them back onto the streets as pro/street cars..this means they need titles to do this.

so i feel that if a car has a title then it can then be sold in 50 states.opens up buyer market much bigger with title.

i had my 80 pro/street camaro on here for sale or trade..i had some trades offers to me i would have jump for but had to turn down due to they had no title;;
Old 01-27-2008, 09:52 AM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Titles

I know this is a late entry, but hopefully it will help someone avoid a problem later. You need to check your individual state. They all seem to have their own rules and exceptions. If you buy a car from say Alabama and it is over 25 years old you don't need a title, just a bill of sale. Then if you bring it to a state like Florida, you have to apply for a title. They will check and see what the law says in Alabama. If the state you bought it from requires a title the you must have a title and cannot register it until you get a title from the seller. All in all, it is alot easier and safer to have a title.
Fla1976

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -