Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what rivets to use

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

what rivets to use

When tubbing a car what is the best kind of rivet to use?I'm using aluminum right now,just wondering if they will loosen and if I should go with steel or even exploding rivets
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    If you have alum tubs, use alum rivets!!! Using steel against the alum will cause corrision called electrollis, ( DISSIMILAR METALS) not a good speller sorry,Went to trade school instead!!!!!!!!!!!! David.

:shock: How serious is that :shock: I never thought about this til recently.I got steel tubs,but have over 400 aluminum rivets in place now.Nuthin rong wit yure spelin
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

Administrator RACING JUNKIE bjuice's Avatar
    also be sure to place the smaller flat washer on the backside of the rivet so it pulls up tight and displaces more holding pressure to surface.

Brian
    Bjuice..

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    look for aluminum rivits with steel nails, (hard to find), I have made my own by buying both steel and aluminum and changing the nails..... :shock:
    The aluminum nails I find are almost useless, as they seem to break long before the rivit is pulled tight.
    The other option is to use stainless steel rivits, the wont corrode the aluminum.
    Ed

Thanks for the info guys.Like I said,I have a few hundred rivets in place now.Aluminum 3/16.Will they work loose being a soft metal or should I drill them out and use something else?

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    if they are in there now, and they pulled up tight, leave em.....
    Ed

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE lively's Avatar
    NO MAN--I THINK YOU SHOULD PULL THEM ALLLLLLLL OUT :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ---LIVELY

:shock: Not you again :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Seriously,you think I screwed up?It would suck to pull them out,but whatever it takes to make it last

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE lively's Avatar
    NAW--IF THEY ARE TIGHT --LEAVE THEM ALONE---JUST CHECK THEM ONCE IN AWHILE TO MAKE SURE THEY HAVEN'T LOOSENED[ THEN REPLACE AS NEEDED] 8) 8) 8) THIS IS EXPERIENCE TALKING HERE ops: ops: ops: ops: ops: ---LIVELY